Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Feather Thief

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#16 Bruce Derington

Bruce Derington

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,329 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 11:12 AM

If you have time to listen to it here is a link to the pod cast that talks about it.  It is very interesting. 

https://www.thisamer...e-feather-heist

It as a very interesting story, which I first heard from John Mc Lain. I remember Edwin selling these  on the trading floor, said he needed a new flute. 

Did they sell? Was that on this forum?

How unlikely that a trout guide in NM would have an ornate classic salmon fly in his tackle on the stream? Weird story of Johnson's involvement.

Yes, it was on our Classic forum

Bruce Derington

#17 xvigauge

xvigauge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 01:33 PM

If one has never read the book, then one should not comment on it nor should they form an opinion as whether they would read it or not based solely on the opinions of others.
Joe

#18 rstaight

rstaight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 01:55 PM

If one has never read the book, then one should not comment on it nor should they form an opinion as whether they would read it or not based solely on the opinions of others.
Joe

Agreed

"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.  Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary." - Patrick F. McManus

#19 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,476 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 09:58 PM

Joe

I disagree.  Why put reviews out if not to recommend for or against something?  For those who've read it, someone else's opinion is just a topic of discussion.  For those who haven't read it, that discussion is all important.  There are way too many books to waste time on one that the consensus is, "I'm glad I borrowed it and didn't buy it."

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#20 phg

phg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 09:32 AM

My wife is a librarian.  I don't buy books....

I have read this book, and can say that it is very well written.  Johnson did a lot of research on the natural history of exotic birds, and well as spent a lot of time and money running down various aspects of the story.  Through it all, though, I felt a constant negative bias against fly tyers, in general, and against the use of natural materials in our craft/art.  He concedes the use of chicken and turkey feathers, but, in his estimation, the use of other wild materials is unethical.

What disturbed me the most, however, was his vigilante attitude.  Not satisfied with the official disposition of the case, he set out on his own to harass and badger and "expose" those even marginally involved.  While I agree that "justice" was not well served in this case, his actions went well beyond what a private citizen should be allowed to do.

#21 xvigauge

xvigauge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 03:29 PM

Joe

I disagree.  Why put reviews out if not to recommend for or against something?  For those who've read it, someone else's opinion is just a topic of discussion.  For those who haven't read it, that discussion is all important.  There are way too many books to waste time on one that the consensus is, "I'm glad I borrowed it and didn't buy it."

A review will give you an idea of what the work is about and if others thought it was good or bad. A reviewer will never give a review or opinion unless he or she has read it. But, to form a final opinion and to comment on the work in a public forum without ever reading it is just plain wrong. I have written and published three books and they have all had good reviews. I have never had an in-depth discussion about any of them without suggesting that the person read the book first. Then and only then will their opinion be valid.
Joe

#22 mikechell

mikechell

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,476 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 07:10 PM

I agree ... one shouldn't conceive an opinion on a book without reading it.  I didn't.  But I DO consider other's opinions to decide if I'll read a book or not.  That's all I stated. 

Based on the reviews on this thread ... I am not even slightly interested in looking at this one.

My decision to NOT read it is, I think, as important a position as "I did/didn't like it".

Barbed hooks rule!

#23 xvigauge

xvigauge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 01:51 PM

OK, Mike. Whatever you say.

However, I have not read the book, but I think I will. I would like to discover first hand what all the hoopla is about. I believe a serious fly tier would be denying himself if he/she did not read it.
Joe

#24 Gene L

Gene L

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 02:14 PM

I agree ... one shouldn't conceive an opinion on a book without reading it.  I didn't.  But I DO consider other's opinions to decide if I'll read a book or not.  That's all I stated. 

Based on the reviews on this thread ... I am not even slightly interested in looking at this one.

My decision to NOT read it is, I think, as important a position as "I did/didn't like it".

I don't think so, since you added nothing of interest to a serious thread.  It might be helpful if you stated why you decided NOT to read it.  That might be more interesting than your post.  I'm not trying to sell you on the book, but I am interested in why you decided not to read the book, apparently motivated by this thread.  Perhaps it could give us some insight into decision making.

#25 Mogup

Mogup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 06:44 PM

OK, Mike. Whatever you say.However, I have not read the book, but I think I will. I would like to discover first hand what all the hoopla is about. I believe a serious fly tier would be denying himself if he/she did not read it.Joe

Xv,

I think serious fly tyers will find the portrayal of tyers to be very generalized and quite shallow. After reading the book I was left with the perception that Mr. Wallace did not have a great handle on what fly tying these days was all about. He mentions that he attended the fly fishing show in NJ and felt like a marked man . Lol. Anyone who has attended the show would know that the majority of those attending are 60 yrs old and up. Surely something an Iraqi Vet could handle. I would recommend reading the book but I would not do it by buying the book and having Mr. Wallace be the beneficiary. Just my opinion guys and girls.

#26 mikechell

mikechell

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,476 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 07:49 PM

Gene ... to answer your query.  Here a series of reasons, based on the reviews presented above.

I'm glad I borrowed the book and did not buy it.

The final statement says it all.  It's not worth buying, then it's probably not worth my time at all.

After all the online finger pointing and lecturing I probably would not be interested in the book 99% of tiers have little interest in such rare material.

Again, the final statement says it all ... and I agree.

The guy burglarized museum and stole rare bird skins, profited from their sale, and basically skated. 

I have zero sympathy for him ...

I'm not sure if your talking about the author, or someone in the book.  Either way, I don't want to read about it.  Too much criminal activity being glamorized as it is.

What disturbed me the most, however, was his vigilante attitude.  Not satisfied with the official disposition of the case, he set out on his own to harass and badger and "expose" those even marginally involved.  

Again ... I just don't need to read this book.  There are no reviews on this thread that are 100% positive.  I'm well read enough, this book isn't going to enlighten me any further on fly tying or fishing.

I believe a serious fly tier would be denying himself if he/she did not read it.Joe

And there's this.  If all "Serious Fly Tiers" should read the book, I'll be glad to accept that I am NOT a "Serious Fly Tier".

And, pretty much, ALL of Silk's post #5.

Barbed hooks rule!

#27 Gene L

Gene L

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 10:44 PM

"

Gene L, on 29 Oct 2018 - 8:11 PM, said:snapback.png

The guy burglarized museum and stole rare bird skins, profited from their sale, and basically skated. 

I have zero sympathy for him ...

I'm not sure if your talking about the author, or someone in the book.  Either way, I don't want to read about it.  Too much criminal activity being glamorized as it is."

There is no glamorizing of criminal activity at all.  Any glamorizing comes from Classic Fly Tiers, who appear to think their hobby/art is worthy of destroying precious endangered and instinct bird feathers collections.  Of course, the book is not written by the thief, which should have been clear from previous posts.  Skimming a thread can frequently lead to an incomplete understanding.

Someone said the perp was able to afford exotic feathers, but such feathers are not available on the market.  Which is why he stole them and sold them to be able to purchase a silver flute...he's also a concert flautist. You can check on Classic Fly Tiers to get their attitude on theft of extinct bird collections.  I didn't see in the book any disrespect for ordinary fly tiers, just for those who will destruct history for their obsession: that and profit.  I think he stole from future generations.

#28 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 10:48 PM

. I believe a serious fly tier would be denying himself if he/she did not read it.
Joe

If you have read the reviews and the online interviews you know the book has nothing to do with flytying. It is about one man's obsession with another man's crime. Although it seems the author may be disparaging toward Classic Flytyers, maybe even towards Serious flytyers.

I will say this, I don't feel a bit bad about not having read this book and I really have no intentions of reading until after I have read the hundreds of serious books About flytying. 

#29 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 10:52 PM

You can check on Classic Fly Tiers to get their attitude on theft of extinct bird collections. 

link? or time frame- thread title- something to look for?

#30 mikechell

mikechell

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,476 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 10:56 PM

Okay, cleared that up, Gene.  Thank you.  

I'll step back with a final nod to tjm ... lack of interest in this book ... we agree on that.

Barbed hooks rule!