Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Peacock Quill and CDC Emergers

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Lucian.Vasies

Lucian.Vasies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 03:14 PM

for lake ( sometimes I tie them  on super small hooks and work great for trout in rivers too )

emergers-with-quill-and-hot-spots.jpg

spotted-and-simple.jpg 

troutline-peacock-quill-emerger.jpg

The quill is coated with ultra thin uv resin to keep slim body and to protect it from fish teeth

#2 RickZieger

RickZieger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 04:09 PM

Very nice flies.

Rick

#3 whatfly

whatfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 04:27 PM

Attractive ties but it is very rare that I would ever want to spend that much time tying a fly that is not going to float very long, especially for moving water.  Outstanding photography as always.

#4 DarrellP

DarrellP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 07:15 PM

I like it.
"Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job." John Geirach

#5 Lucian.Vasies

Lucian.Vasies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 09:33 AM

Difficult to tie? Not at all :) . Just 3 CDC feathers,  a body made of quill and a few turns with dubbing where CDC are fixed.Optional a turn of soft hackle for movement when the fly floats in drift or I use small pulls ....

Floats fantastic well ( if  the fly is tied in the correct way), no a splash if you cast far away and  it will not scare the fish.  natural look, easy to be noticed even if the wind is blowing..

Can be fished on rivers like a simple emerger. Can be fished on lakes  with or without retrieves .

I never go  fishing without this fly tied in different way, late in the day when the light is decreasing this is my best fly to catch big fish :)

cheers

L

#6 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 02:31 PM

I like them very much.

#7 Piker20

Piker20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,204 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 05:31 PM

Difficult to tie? Not at all :) . Just 3 CDC feathers,  a body made of quill and a few turns with dubbing where CDC are fixed.Optional a turn of soft hackle for movement when the fly floats in drift or I use small pulls ....
Floats fantastic well ( if  the fly is tied in the correct way), no a splash if you cast far away and  it will not scare the fish.  natural look, easy to be noticed even if the wind is blowing..
Can be fished on rivers like a simple emerger. Can be fished on lakes  with or without retrieves .
I never go  fishing without this fly tied in different way, late in the day when the light is decreasing this is my best fly to catch big fish :)

cheers
L

How small do you find you go for rivers and how small do you make the CdC "wing" or do you only worry about the hook size and keep the vane roughly the same for float properties
Matthew 25: 35-36 "Out of every 100 men, 10 shouldnt even be there, 80 are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior and he will bring the others back. "No man ever steps in the same river twice"   Heraclitus, 5 B.C

Based Scottish Highlands. UK

MUSTAD The wise anglers choice.

#8 Lucian.Vasies

Lucian.Vasies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 12:53 AM

#20-22, I know guys who use a size 24.
One cdc feather/barbs tied long enough to be noticed easly. I do not trim the feather, it is a big mistake. Even if the fly looks weard with a long feather and small body it is not a problem, the feather is mostly out from water and do not bother the fish.

#9 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 10:23 AM

Thanks, Lucian, what do you consider a "normal" size for these? In the past I used much smaller flies in still water than in streams, but I take it that you are using larger ones in the lakes?

#10 Lucian.Vasies

Lucian.Vasies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 12:08 PM

#14 is the biggest sized used. I fish normally with size #16-18 . When I fish grayling and  is too difficult to catch, I go down #20-22 my favourite is the Varivas BL 2200  hooks

#11 Piker20

Piker20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,204 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 08:16 AM

I have been put off these generally as you say, they look odd with a big vane but you don't think the silhouette bothers the fish. I'll try some this year on my river.
Matthew 25: 35-36 "Out of every 100 men, 10 shouldnt even be there, 80 are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior and he will bring the others back. "No man ever steps in the same river twice"   Heraclitus, 5 B.C

#12 Lucian.Vasies

Lucian.Vasies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 21 December 2018 - 01:24 AM

The long feathers looks odd indeed but they  float well and the wing  is over the water. Don't bother the fish. Lots of fishermen  trim the feathers to "proportion"  but is wrong. The feather should not be trimmed 

#13 Piker20

Piker20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,204 posts

Posted 21 December 2018 - 02:16 PM

Cheers I will try your tip.

#14 salmobytes

salmobytes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 21 December 2018 - 02:27 PM

Good photos too

/* Colin (Sandy) Pittendrigh >--oO0>
** http://montana-riverboats.com */