Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Tup's Indispensable

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,498 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 07:39 AM

My sympathies for you, Bazzer.   I hope it was just property, and not structures.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#17 DarrellP

DarrellP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 10:51 AM

I hope no people or pets were harmed. Losing your stuff is bad enough. If you need any tying supplies or fishing equipment that you lost replaced, let us know! We all have more stuff than we will use in one lifetime. Seriously, let us know.
"Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job." John Geirach

#18 Bazzer69

Bazzer69

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 05:55 AM

Thanks guys. It was a slightly different situation. We were in the process of buying this property when the Carr Fire struck. All my fly tying materials were in our workshop but unfortunately the house burnt to the ground. Its now all cleaned up and we are hoping to rebuild early in 2019. No pets or people were harmed from my family. Others were not so fortunate.
Thanks again
Barry

#19 vicrider

vicrider

Advanced Member

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 24 December 2018 - 01:22 AM

Terrible news in CA. Glad you and your family lost nothing but structures in that fire. Too many lost lives when the fires moved on hurricane like winds. Hope your rebuilding goes okay but is it a good idea to build in a place already proved to be susceptible to fires?

#20 cphubert

cphubert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 24 December 2018 - 09:58 AM

All joking aside. My heartfelt thoughts and prayers are with people who lost family, friends, and animals, be it pets or livestock. Makes one realize what is important in life. 

#21 DrLogik

DrLogik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 30 December 2018 - 07:04 PM

Tups wool is wool from the scrotum of a ram.

Hendrickson dubbing is made from the urine-burned hair from a female fox.

I have the real deal in both and I can tell you from experience that cleaning "fresh" tups wool is NOT for the feint of heart...or nose.

I have a source for the tups wool and the farmer lady who raises these sheep knows all about our Tups Irresistible and the sacred wool.  If you want the real deal PM me and I'll give you her contact info.  She will even include instructions on cleaning it!

#22 mikechell

mikechell

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,498 posts

Posted 30 December 2018 - 10:34 PM

If this "Tup's Irresistible" was the ONLY fly that ever caught fish ... I'd give up fly fishing.  I'm not dealing with urine stained fur just to tie a fly, period.

I think that's the point where the addiction requires a vacation at Betty Ford's.

Barbed hooks rule!

#23 Piker20

Piker20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,204 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 06:57 AM

Mike you make me laugh. For someone that was in the military and goes out on a canoe and fishes, you come across as the most un-outdoorsie person. I'm sure you're not actually as flimsy as your online persona suggests.
Matthew 25: 35-36 "Out of every 100 men, 10 shouldnt even be there, 80 are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior and he will bring the others back. "No man ever steps in the same river twice"   Heraclitus, 5 B.C

Based Scottish Highlands. UK

MUSTAD The wise anglers choice.

#24 mikechell

mikechell

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,498 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 07:18 AM

laugh.png No, I don't suppose "flimsy" would be a word that describes me.

Let's just say that I'm more into creature comforts as I get longer in the tooth.  

However, handling piss stained anything isn't "manly" or "outdoorsy" ... it's just disgusting.  I'll do disgusting things when required.  I rarely do them for a hobby.

Barbed hooks rule!

#25 Piker20

Piker20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,204 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 02:28 PM

Hahaha, I getcha.
Matthew 25: 35-36 "Out of every 100 men, 10 shouldnt even be there, 80 are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior and he will bring the others back. "No man ever steps in the same river twice"   Heraclitus, 5 B.C

Based Scottish Highlands. UK

MUSTAD The wise anglers choice.

#26 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 11:53 PM

Tups doesn't call for urine stained wool and the fox called for in the Hendrickson was fawn fox belly and then changed to urine burnt vixen belly fur- that fur would usually stay on the carcass- but if someone gave you a piece that had gone though all the tanning process, first you'd not recognize what it was and second the tanning is grosser than the urine.

I have bought the "Hendrickson pink" dubbing and it's not even very close to the actual color of fox, but evidently the trout weren't that observant.

The desired fox color is actually close to the Chadwick's 477 that Sawyer made famous and I believe 477 would sub for vixen belly almost perfectly.  I think the same fur from a bobcat would be very close in color as well.

fwiw, all wool is nasty, greasy and stinks when fresh from the stinking sheep.

#27 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 06:18 PM

Urine is nothing really, parents and pet owners scoff at the stuff, not even a blip on the radar. I mean, I don't drink the stuff but c'mon it's just pee. And after it's tanned or processed, it's just a color.

#28 mikechell

mikechell

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,498 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 08:47 PM

When I have to ... as I said.  With three cats, it's a daily thing, cleaning the box.

But I'm still not, voluntarily, seeking it out.

Barbed hooks rule!

#29 Bazzer69

Bazzer69

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 09:52 PM

The wool I purchased had little or no smell when I washed it prior to blending my Tups Dubbing.

#30 DFoster

DFoster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 08:38 AM

laugh.png No, I don't suppose "flimsy" would be a word that describes me.

Let's just say that I'm more into creature comforts as I get longer in the tooth.  

However, handling piss stained anything isn't "manly" or "outdoorsy" ... it's just disgusting.  I'll do disgusting things when required.  I rarely do them for a hobby.

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture11.JPG

And you thought golf was frustrating-