Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Anybody use versileaders?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 GG34

GG34

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 29 December 2018 - 12:21 PM

Just curious on how they work? Looking to get a little deeper fishing dock lights for crappie and bass.

#2 GG34

GG34

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 29 December 2018 - 02:22 PM

Sorry. Meant to post in fly fishing. Mods please move. Thanks.

#3 Piker20

Piker20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,208 posts

Posted 29 December 2018 - 02:32 PM

I use Airflo version poly leaders. I also make my own. Level leaders from cheap fly line in d5 and d7
If you are using a leader in density upto 4inch/sec then a #7 line will cast and turnover the 10ft long ones.
For quicker sinkers or bigger flies you will need a heavier line or a line with a short fat head to help turn it all. Some guys over here cut back upto a foot from a WF line when they use leaders a lot.
Matthew 25: 35-36 "Out of every 100 men, 10 shouldnt even be there, 80 are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior and he will bring the others back. "No man ever steps in the same river twice"   Heraclitus, 5 B.C

Based Scottish Highlands. UK

MUSTAD The wise anglers choice.

#4 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,843 posts

Posted 29 December 2018 - 02:55 PM

I use them regularly my favorite line for bass is the gpx hover because I can still fish topwaters with it but it doesn't seem to get the hinge effect as much when I add a versa leader, I scored a bunch of 14ft leaders half off and just cut them in 2.

#5 GG34

GG34

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 29 December 2018 - 03:22 PM

Thanks. I ordered the rio 10ft 5.2 ips. Will a 5 or 6 wt turn them over?

#6 Piker20

Piker20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,208 posts

Posted 29 December 2018 - 03:38 PM

A #5 will but you will probably need to roll the line up from deep before being able to make a cast.
Matthew 25: 35-36 "Out of every 100 men, 10 shouldnt even be there, 80 are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior and he will bring the others back. "No man ever steps in the same river twice"   Heraclitus, 5 B.C

#7 GG34

GG34

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 29 December 2018 - 04:31 PM

Kind of like a regular sink tip line?

#8 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,843 posts

Posted 30 December 2018 - 12:25 AM

I cast them with my 9'10" 4wt it cuts down my cast a bit by I can still get 70 ft maybe more, I do have to take up most of my love and shoot it though.

#9 Piker20

Piker20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,208 posts

Posted 30 December 2018 - 06:18 AM

Kind of like a regular sink tip line?

A lot less hard work. The quicker the sink rate the more of a hinge you'll have. I don't find myself needing to drop much below the 4"/sec one. Just count a bit longer if you need deeper.