Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
GG34

Anybody use versileaders?

Just curious on how they work? Looking to get a little deeper fishing dock lights for crappie and bass.

I use Airflo version poly leaders. I also make my own. Level leaders from cheap fly line in d5 and d7

If you are using a leader in density upto 4inch/sec then a #7 line will cast and turnover the 10ft long ones.

For quicker sinkers or bigger flies you will need a heavier line or a line with a short fat head to help turn it all. Some guys over here cut back upto a foot from a WF line when they use leaders a lot.

I use them regularly my favorite line for bass is the gpx hover because I can still fish topwaters with it but it doesn't seem to get the hinge effect as much when I add a versa leader, I scored a bunch of 14ft leaders half off and just cut them in 2.

I cast them with my 9'10" 4wt it cuts down my cast a bit by I can still get 70 ft maybe more, I do have to take up most of my love and shoot it though.

Kind of like a regular sink tip line?

A lot less hard work. The quicker the sink rate the more of a hinge you'll have. I don't find myself needing to drop much below the 4"/sec one. Just count a bit longer if you need deeper.