Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

what do you guys fish when the little black stones hit the water

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 NJfly

NJfly

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 06:58 AM

I am on the east coast and the little black stones will be here soon.  What do you guys find effective for the hatch.  I am more curious if any of you fish soft hackles during the hatch.  Dry fly fishing here is pretty sporadic at best for them.  

#2 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 07:27 AM

black pheasant tails

H2X2qAh.jpg

Fly tyers sure have a way at making things difficult

#3 Rocco

Rocco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 10:12 AM

I don't normally imitate  the little black stones because I learned on the Pere Marquette years ago that mid size ones are often hatching at the same time and they draw savage trout and steelhead hits. 

My mentors there  tied simple black soft hackle stonefly nymphs  made with a thin body of black dubbed sparkle material --picked out a bit -- with 3-4 black pheasant tails and 2  turns of short black hen hackle on a sturdy #10 streamer or #8 nymph hook. Fished on the swing they swim much like the original emergers.

Rocco

#4 SBPatt

SBPatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 10:52 AM

Ive hit good hatches a few times and had decent luck with a dark #16 CDC & Elk; added a bit of orange foam as an indicator since I had trouble picking them out on the water.

Regards,
Scott
Canon Powershot SD750; Ott + 2 clamp-on lights

#5 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 12:52 PM

I like Flytire's choice. That is one I'll try.

That said I usually turn to a favorite streamer or larger soft hackle instead of trying to get the size and color just right, stone imitations have never done well for me personally.

#6 redietz

redietz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 03:15 PM

I am more curious if any of you fish soft hackles during the hatch. 

Yes.  Size 18 Light Spanish Needle.

Bob

#7 Flicted

Flicted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 09:38 AM

When the little black stones hit the water I tell the darn grandkids to stop throwing rocks and I move upstream.

#8 ihang10

ihang10

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 09:58 AM

#9 rstaight

rstaight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 11:21 AM

"When the little black stones hit the water I tell the darn grandkids to stop throwing rocks and I move upstream."

Knew it was coming. The people on this forum rarely disappoint.

"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.  Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary." - Patrick F. McManus

#10 NJfly

NJfly

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 03:30 PM

"When the little black stones hit the water I tell the darn grandkids to stop throwing rocks and I move upstream."

Knew it was coming. The people on this forum rarely disappoint.

That is pretty tame for a message board, lol.  Thanks guys i appreciate the responses, i am a new tyer and found a cool soft hackle lbs from john collins on youtube that should work well. 

#11 BobHRAH

BobHRAH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 10:59 AM

Black Copper Johns in appropriate size?

Thanks, Bob H

#12 Flicted

Flicted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 11:02 AM

The very few times I found them in the Black Hills, I did well with #10 and #12 Montana Nymph and Black Caddis.

#13 spiralspey

spiralspey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 05:41 PM

Some streams around me have good hatches. I have had some luck drifting black hare's ears close the banks where the nymphs crawl out to emerge. On warm sunny days the bugs get active and there is often some decent surface action. Again, it's usually tight to the bank. I use a black bodied elk hair caddis.

#14 rockworm

rockworm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,371 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 08:17 PM

This is a great thread! The first insects I have seen come off the water around here (Montreal, Quebec, Canada) are the small black- and small brown stoneflies. (There are probably some early midge hatches as well, but the stones are so easy to see against the snow-covered banks.) Regrettably, I haven't yet had a chance to fish these hatches. Maybe this year! The flies suggested in this post so far all seem to fit the bill and I am tying a couple of each of them. I wish someone would take this idea and run an early black stone swap. 

#15 Flicted

Flicted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 10:42 PM

Rockworm - Fish a Pheasant Tail Nymph with a Zebra Midge or Emerger as a dropper.