Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Vise mount iPhone holder ?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Bazzer69

Bazzer69

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 01:47 PM

Does anyone know of a iPhone mount that could attach to the stem of my vise? I would like it to be flexible so I can use the camera function as a magnifier.
Thanks
Barry

#2 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,523 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 02:15 PM

A tripod with a cell phone mount

41lMgANRiHL._AC_SY400_.jpg

Google "gooseneck phone holder"

from jvise

Camera800.jpg

618MJnDWBSL._SX425_.jpg

Most fishermen use the double haul to throw their casting mistakes further - Lefty Kreh

#3 Mike West

Mike West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 02:22 PM

Predator vise makes one but his stem is larger than the standard 3/8
You might contact him

#4 Poopdeck

Poopdeck

You damn kids, get off my lawn!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 05:48 PM

Interesting idea. I think with electronic magnification the flexible shaft wouldn't be needed. Something simple where the entire mount can rotate out of the way when not needed would suffice, I would think.

#5 Bazzer69

Bazzer69

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 08:23 PM

Predator has one for a 3/8 mount, but they want $80

#6 Rocco

Rocco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 03:46 AM

Do flies take 'selfies'?

Rocco

#7 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,523 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 07:58 AM

ITgKea1.jpg

smart phone mounted in a holder screwed onto a tripod

Most fishermen use the double haul to throw their casting mistakes further - Lefty Kreh

#8 Kimo

Kimo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 11:54 AM

$5.50

s-l500.jpg

Kimo

#9 Bazzer69

Bazzer69

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 12:52 PM

Flytire, I have a tripod setup as you suggest, but where do I sit? I want to use the phone as a magnifier
B

#10 Flicted

Flicted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 01:21 PM

My personal opinion is that although it would work, it's not very practical. If you're using the camera for magnification, it will eat up your battery quickly - especially assuming you set it to never go into auto-sleep mode. Look for a desk lamp/magnifier. You could probably find one for about the same price of the cell phone goose neck grabber thing and it's the right tool for the job.

#11 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,523 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 01:40 PM

i too cant figure the benefit of a cell phone as a magnifier but....

cell phones have charging cords that would have to be plugged in and wouldnt deplete the battery

bazzer

it was just an idea but obviously you would have to sit behind the tripod

use the clip on gooseneck phone holder ans sit anywhere you like

why not just a magnifier

5230.Jpg

magnifyers-fly-tying-vise.jpg

#12 Bazzer69

Bazzer69

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 03:46 PM

With my eye problem I cant see well through glasses but I can see the screen of my iPhone well. I will probably end up with the Predator solution, just seems overpriced to me.
Sitting behind the tripod would need very long arms and getting my legs close to the bench would be a adventure

#13 whatfly

whatfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 06:12 PM

Actually your request makes a lot of sense, but not sure you are looking at the best solution.  Ideally I would look for some sort of GoPro like device that could wirelessly transmit to a monitor or your computer if you tie in front of one preferably via Bluetooth.  Of course, this is an even more expensive solution than those proposed, but more practical as well.  If you have a digital video camera already, you might also look to shooting over your shoulder as one would do during a tying demo.  My eyesight is still OK but when teaching tying classes, I'm always struck by how much clearer the camera shots are.  YMMV.

#14 Mike West

Mike West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 07:32 PM

i too cant figure the benefit of a cell phone as a magnifier but....

I don’t know about Android but the iPhone from version 7 and up if you hit the home button three times really fast it turns your phone into a magnifying glass...I use it all the time to read maps at work