Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

The ultimate vise?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#16 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 01:36 PM

I understand a little bit more about it now. He used Mike Norris Damascus, made for knife blades. The sizes available in blade stock limit its adaptability to other things, like vises. I would have been more impressed if he had made his own damascus and built the vise from scratch.

Personally, I was more impressed with the flies in his vises, but then I know how to do metal work, those classic salmon flies are still like magic to me.

Again, more power to him. Can't knock him for sticking his neck out.

#17 Bazzer69

Bazzer69

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 01:40 PM

Wow, so many sour grapes after the love affair for the TRV. 😎
Of course its not worth it, but neither is a Banksky

#18 Bazzer69

Bazzer69

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 01:43 PM

I understand a little bit more about it now. He used Mike Norris Damascus, made for knife blades. The sizes available in blade stock limit its adaptability to other things, like vises. I would have been more impressed if he had made his own damascus and built the vise from scratch.

Personally, I was more impressed with the flies in his vises, but then I know how to do metal work, those classic salmon flies are still like magic to me.

Again, more power to him. Can't knock him for sticking his neck out.

Yes, you can say the same about knifes, is a camp knife worth $750 when you can go to your sporting goods store and by a fairly good camp knife for $30? Of course it is ( I have a Damascus knife)

#19 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 02:19 PM

Bazzer, you must be misunderstanding me. I'm thinking there should be more damascus. Again, I did not say he was asking too much, I said, you can't knock him for it. And I said, Art is art, this is art. Practicality has nothing to do with this vise.

Please reread (all of) what I said maybe you will get a clearer picture of my perspective. Or maybe you could give me a clearer picture of how we disagree.

I sell luxury items, I wouldn't be opposed to anyone else buying or selling luxury items.

You would certainly have to agree that talking about this vise and the new HMH TRV are two entirely different things.

#20 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 02:34 PM

Don't like ugly damascus at all at all, but Mark is right the guy or gal that  buys that won't strain the budget or need to fiance it.

Art is in the eye of the beholder? maybe

Spend it if you have it, you can't take it with you.

#21 Bazzer69

Bazzer69

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 02:40 PM

Bazzer, you must be misunderstanding me. I'm thinking there should be more damascus. Again, I did not say he was asking too much, I said, you can't knock him for it. And I said, Art is art, this is art. Practicality has nothing to do with this vise.

Please reread (all of) what I said maybe you will get a clearer picture of my perspective. Or maybe you could give me a clearer picture of how we disagree.

I sell luxury items, I wouldn't be opposed to anyone else buying or selling luxury items.

You would certainly have to agree that talking about this vise and the new HMH TRV are two entirely different things.

Mark, my post must be badly written, Im not disagreeing with you at all, in fact I totally agree with your sentiments. Without explorers the world would be a small place.

#22 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 03:47 PM

Anhang-1--1-.jpg

Fly tyers sure have a way at making things difficult

#23 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,474 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 05:17 PM

I deleted the last few posts, since they were veering towards a personal attack on one member.  Please keep it civil.

Who makes THAT vise, flytire ???

THAT'S a beautiful thing !!!

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#24 stabgnid

stabgnid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 06:08 PM

I deleted the last few posts, since they were veering towards a personal attack on one member.  Please keep it civil.

Who makes THAT vise, flytire ???

THAT'S a beautiful thing !!!

BOOM !!! The long arm of the law drop the Hammer on you boys !!! Just kidding Mikechell  you do a great job as a moderator !!!

Steve-stabgnid

"I don't fly fish I just love to tie flies"

Steve-stabgnid

#25 SilverCreek

SilverCreek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 06:21 PM

Can we agree that the title of the thread should be "The Ultimate Price?" rather than the "The Ultimate Vise?" ........

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

http://tinyurl.com/lgkbu7v

#26 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 07:31 PM

It's cool I'm sure whoever buys it will enjoy it, not something i would spend mon very on as the biggest things i enjoy in functional art is design and well function. You won't catch me buying any Damascus knives ever or any 700$ camp knife, they won't perform better than a 2 or 3 hundred dollar knife made with a good stainless or highcarbon steel, as long as it has clean lines, feels good in the hand and does what it's supposed to well I'm happy.

#27 Poopdeck

Poopdeck

You damn kids, get off my lawn!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 07:40 PM

I agree. The ultimate price is more accurate.

As far as who is buying this is concerned I think the suggestion that only NBA stars and oil barons are buying this vise is completely wrong. Now I'm not an oil baron or NBA star but I could pay cash for a couple truck loads of these vises if I wanted yet I would never buy a single one let alone drool over and yearn for one. Is Sage making millions by only selling to the uber wealthy? The answer is no way since there is not enough uber wealthy people to float a company. The waiting period is nothing more then a ploy to artificially inflate the price even higher. If I was getting 2600.00 per vise I would have then sitting on shelfs waiting for some fool to come by and give me his hard earned cash. I bet you he numbers them as well.

Truth be told, most of those who are buying these vises are more then likely people who can't afford them but they just have to have one. These are the same people who have the big mortgage, two car payments in the driveway and standing island vacations billed to their credit cards. Yep, the ones who will soon turn 60 and wonder how they are ever going to retire on social security.

I'm not attacking anybody who would buy one of these since we all work to earn money to spend on or finance anything we may want or nothing at all. I'm just glad I don't blow money on little shrines to myself.

#28 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 08:15 PM

Poopdeck, I must respectfully disagree with you. I sell my knives to the same guys that will buy this vise. Very few of these people are making payments on anything. Certainly some of them are, but nobodies skipping their morning latte to save money for one. I make working knives too, that sell for, starting at $700.00 but my high end knives are bought by bankers, lawyers, doctors and successful businessmen that run large companies.

None of these people are fools, (most of them aren't) they've worked hard, became successful and now have enough discretionary funds to buy things that most people couldn't. Certainly not everybody with that kind of money buys high end vises and knives but many do (at least knives).

As I mentioned before, I have a back log of five years on my custom knives, it's not artificial. This week I will finish a knife that I took an order for in 2014. Now by virtue of his selling his vise on eBay, that may not be the case with him. I personally don't feel right making new knives to sell while people are waiting for their knives.

Some people would rather leave all their money to their children and some will set aside some for the children and do what ever they want with the rest. I for one am glad they do.

I'm one of the people that would never buy a high end vise or knife, I don't own any of my own knives ('cept my pheasant hunting knife). I would rather use the money on other things. Paying bills is high on the list. Even when I have all the bills payed, I don't look for that kind of thing. (i'd upgrade the boat)

Anyway, that's my perspective.

#29 Mogup

Mogup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 08:50 PM

Mark are you really Hantori Honzo ?

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=az2dSNXRKOc

#30 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp