Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Looking for a new vise.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Joshpilon08

Joshpilon08

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 10:10 PM

Hello all. I'm looking at buying a new vise, and was curious if anyone on here has a Griffin spider vise. I only have a budget of about $100 for a vise. Anyone's and everyone's opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

#2 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,509 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 11:18 PM

I have the Spider.  I paid a little more and got it with the cam jaws.

I don't have experience with all the high dollar vises, so I cannot give you an honest comparison.  I've tied, off and on, for 40 years.  All of that on the Bass Pro Shop Supreme Vise.  (it wasn't from BPS when I got it ... but it's exactly the same)  A couple of years ago, I bought the Spider.

I haven't regretted it a single day since. 

Spins nice.  The lock works well, and after a few times, locking/unlocking the spin feature is a "little finger" operation, even while holding material with that hand.  

The jaws have held everything I've tied on it.  I don't do real small stuff, so I can't comment on anything smaller than size 12.  It has held up to a 5/0 worm hook for some bass streamers I tied up.

It's done well for me.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#3 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 11:22 PM

I would get the cam jaws like Mike mentioned

I have the anvil atlas I've been very happy with it.

#4 rstaight

rstaight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 04:50 AM

The Griffin Spider that Mike is talking is an excellent true rotary vise.

I have one that I bought after a few lessons. It's not my goto vise today but it still gets used on occasion. If I didn't tie down to size 32 on it, it has definitely seen size 22.

There is nothing wrong with this vise.

"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.  Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary." - Patrick F. McManus

#5 Poopdeck

Poopdeck

You damn kids, get off my lawn!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,532 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 07:10 AM

I don't have the spider but I have a griffin vise I inherited from my father. I'm guessing it's 25 years old and the jaw design is the same as the spider without the cam. This is my main tying vise as it was for my father. The jaws are rock solid and it holds the hooks more then securely. Again, it does not have the cam lever just the two thumb wheels. It's absolutely no bother at all putting a hook in it with the thumb screws. Get the cam if you have the extra money but the cam is not a significant time saver nor does it hold the hook any better.

I saw a spider w/o the cam lever on Amazon with free shipping for 71 bucks. Griffin makes a quality serviceable vise that will last a lifetime. Mine is working on two lifetimes. The vise is suitable for all levels of tyers not just beginners. this vise will do and perform just as well as a 200, 300, 500, 700 dollar and more vise.

#6 Abel M.

Abel M.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 11:28 AM

X2 for Poopdeck's input!

#7 Gene L

Gene L

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 11:49 AM

I had a Griffin Patriot back when.  It had the cam and was rotational.  Like a fool, I traded it for a 3wt rod.  I loved the cam, and the way it locked a hook.  I've been looking for one for a couple of years, but can't find one.

#8 Abel M.

Abel M.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 04:17 PM

Gene that's a bummer!