Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
oholi

Serbian guy

Hi all,

As seen in the title, i am from Serbia. I am sure i am an addict to flyfishing and flytying.

beiing a tier since 1998-99 i may say i have a bit of experience.

but ever since i start tying and flyfishing i give my best to improve myself. so almost daily i learn a bit.

as soon as i get some time i'll post few flies. i try to keep it simple.

regards

Vladimir

Vladimir,

Dobro Dosli.

Many years ago -- 35 now! -- I fished the Una and Ribnik in Bosnia and greatly enjoyed the sport and the folks there. Although resident in Belgrade at the time, I never found accessible streams with trout nearby. At the time there were some stocked waters close by but they were reserved for VIPs. I did take some smudj and a few stuka from the Sava on streamers but never hooked a mladitsa..

I still have a small collection of flies that were tied w/o a vise by some local guys I fished with. Their whole tying kit fit in plastic bag and they could snatch a hatching fly from the air and reproduce it in a heart beat.

What I'd give right now for lamb from a spit with warm homemade bread, a copska salata, and a few BIPs chilled in a mountain stream!

Looking forward to seeing some of your flies and hearing about your trips there.

Rocco

Well Roco, "bolje vas nasli"

you are welcome to come :) everything can be arranged. I live in Belgrade. Nearest trout stream is Gradac, about 100km away. I travel by train,2.5hrs, fish all day and go back in the evening.

At Gradac, there are lot of nice locals, every weekend they make delicious food. Some of which you mentioned. The urrounding is perfect. River is so clean that i never carry my water, i dring from the river.

Šopska salad... make it.. tomato, paprika, cuecumber...cheese-domestic one ;) oil and a bit of salt.

i have to dissapoint you, BIP has ruined its beer

While I was there, Politika once ran a picture of a BIP bottle with a full grown lizard in it! There was a fad for a time of ordering "BIP bez gushtera". or "BIP, hold the lizard" .

Hahahaha. I am 33 so i was not even born at that time. Many things changed since then. Most of them in a bad way. But still people are friendly and food is great. I may say that no matter news say about us here, anyone who comes onve is happy to come again.

And regarding fishing i guess that past was much better. Industrialisation made some changes :(

Still you can find some great waters in mountains and remoted arias.

Hey Vladimir...welcome to the site. It looks like you'll have some cool insights. Looking forward to seeing your work. Cheers, Ed

Welcome Vlad. We've got friends all over the world on this forum. By all means, let us see your flies! and your fish!

Thanks for your welcome.... :)

Ps: i posted two of my videos in another subforum.

Rocco i am regular there. As on few other forums. Why do you ask? Visiting it?

One grayling caught two days ago. River Lim in Priboj-Serbia

Currently i am researching options with my phone. It would be way easier if there was taptalk version

post-57033-0-69258700-1440742157_thumb.jpg

Oholi,

I just lurk on musicarenje.com. My Serbian is very rusty.

Nice Liplen! I caught several in Bosnia but they were more of a gold /bronze color in my mind's eye anyway. Might have been the waters there which had a tannic hue.

I just watched a couple of very nice videos about fly fishing the Gradac on Youtube. I had heard of it at the time but IIRC it was under JNA management and foreigners were not encouraged there. I also heard that Djilas often fished there with some old partisan pals. (Did Serbia's vampire really live at the mill there?)

We found the really good fishing most times well upstream of the last big village on the stream. It was comon back then in Bosnia for villages to have concrete ramps over the stream so a car could drive up for oil changes. Spillages, deliberate or not, were common. Also, modernity left another eyesore as, when floods receded, plastic bags draped all the bank side foliage for years after.

I used to visit a Krznar's shop near the Beogradanka in Belgrade with a bottle of Johnny Walker Red for the furrier. We'd make a big dent in the bottle and he'd regale me with tales of the Chetniks that would have gotten him hard time at Smederovo. I'd leave with a huge bag of scraps of exotic furs that I still am using for dubbing.

Sorry for the rambling memories of an old guy.

Rocco

Rocco what is IIRC?

Well, Gradac is now opened for everyone to flyfish. Permit is 10euros. Annyal is 40euros. So i go there most of my time.

vampire is a word od serbian origin, regardless the most famous dracula comes from romania. Many tales are told about them. Especially around mills. There is a mill still in function on Gradac but the most famous serbian vampire Sava Savanovic was told to appear at mill near Rogacica river :) nice story for kids and tourists

Bosnian graylings are golden at some rivers... google pliva grayling :)

Plastic bags and other trash are,sadly, still present. But normal people are fighting against it.

Djilas's son is now a politician, so communists still have influence here. Luckily not much. Stories about chetnicks and partisans are mainly true. In IIWW we didnt need Germans to kill us. We were stupid enough do divide in two and kill eachother :(. Partisans were not as good as history teach us and chetnicks were not that bad... truth is somewhere in between.

that krznar near beogradjanka i dont think is there now, i get my fur from one near Zeleni Venac and from friends who hunt.

I dont mind you share memories, i am glad you have been here :)

oholi,

IIRC is shorthand for "if I recall correctly". Sorry for the slang,

A couple of indelible memories from my all too few fishing trips in Bosnia..

-- Fishing late into the evening on the Una near Kulen Vakuf; bats and birds sweeping over the river feeding on hatching drakes; monster browns crashing on their surface feed; just before pitch dark a primordial wailing -- Kuku Lele, Kuku Lele -- by women comes up the river from the nearest village and echoes from mountainside to mountainside making the hair stand up on my neck. (The wails I later learned were by professional mourners gathered for the funeral of a prominent Muslim elder. At the time, just for a moment, it was like being assailed by water witches.)

-- On the Pliva not too far from Mrkonjic Grad fishing on a Sunday afternoon near a mountain meadow where a family was roasting a lamb at a picnic; a young womanwas singing with one of the clearest, ringing, voices I have ever heard and she had all of us frozen in place. The overwhelming beauty of the scenery, her voice, and the clean mountain air is still with me. (Bozidar, the old guy who took us to the spot later told us that he had fought there during WWII and that his unit was forced to abandon its non-mobile wounded along with some nurses who volunteered to stay with them. All were killed slowly by Muslim SS troops. That mix of incredible beauty and tragedy overloads much of my recall of my stay there. And, God knows, there were probably new tales of internicene blood spilling there during the more recent war.)

Rocco