Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Saltines anyone?

Joe, those look great! I've tied some similar, but I turn the body and make them with the hook out the one side, like a spoon. Makes them dart like an injured baitfish. I also make them with a little more rounded body, primarily to imitate Alewives in the Chesapeake Bay. I use either a light wire or heavy mono frame, over which is the mylar tubing.

I've also experimented with painting the hook shank various colors, and with tinting the epoxy.

My favorite has the hook shank wrapped with holographic mylar, and glitter added into the epoxy. Sometimes the epoxy tinted chartreuse works very well too. They work great on Stripers & Bluefish.

Joe I absoluetly love the photo! Great job. Those might work for the freshwater stripers that we fish for during May.

Joe, great looking flies. I have a book that shows them, along with the history of the fly. I forget what it's called, but it shows different flies from different parts of the coastal US, and gives a story behind each fly. I'll have to look into tying some up over the winter for the almighty striped ones.