Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Pere Marquette Salmon Flies

So far we have 100 flies that we have tied up for our upcoming Salmon trip to the Pere Marquette. We have tied 50 peach glo-bugs using OSD's method and we have tied 50 PM Blonde's which was recommended by a video we had purchased (Pere Marquette Salmon by Jim and Kelly Watt) we tied some with the eyes and some without. We are planning to take the vise along just in case other patterns are performing well so we can whip some up in the evenings. Pictures are below. Here are the tying instructions for the PM Wiggler.

Material

size 8 Mustad steelhead/salmon series hook

1 piece of marabou(any color)

Tying Steps

1. Make a "tail" with your marabou and tie it in where the marabou meets the hook. Tie it in again around the eye of the hook.

2. Fold the marabou towards the tail and tie it in in the same area you made the first tie.

3. Fold it again toward the eye of the hook and make another tie just below the eye.

4. Trim off the excess feather and build a nice head with your thread. Whip finish and your done.

Some people like to tie theirs with eyes which you can do before you tie on any of the marabou.

Tip: Wet the marabou before you begin that way it stays together while building the body.

To be quite honest I don't know if it is an imitation of anything dunno.gif Just seen it on a video so we tied some up, I'm sure OSD can solve that riddle. I cannot take the credit for tying those, most of them was tied by my father(leaky waders). Thanks for the compliments!

Not sure if I can get my buddy to log in over here. But I'll see if I can ask him what he uses. I know he fishes and lives ON the PM. Has for over 40 years. Fishes it all the time. I'm not sure if he has a computer though, I simply talk to him on the phone. Also have a friend online who fishes the PM quite a bit with success. I'll see what he has to say. But do know the glo bugs are a good way to go.

It's just funny how the steelhead are different between the GL's and the PNW. Here, in the summer, we scale down to maybe a size 6/8. But normally run around size 4's. During the winter, we're running size 2-2/0 (and sometimes up to 5/0 if you can find the hooks). We tie up pretty big flies, but the waters are heavily stained all winter.

Yea right now from what I'm hearing the PM is very low and clear, we are hoping for some good rain before the trip. Used a #6 for the glo-bugs and a #8 Mustad Salmon Hook for the PM Blondes. The picture doesn't do it much justice but the glo-bugs are actually a peach color but in the pic I'm not sure what color they look like!

The PM Blondes are also a wiggler pattern; this fly is also called the PM wiggler it seems to be very popular on the west side of the state.

I spend most of my time fishing on the east side of the state and don’t tie too many of the PM wigglers.

But as they say when in Rome do as the Romans.

And yes there’s a big differences between the Great lakes salmon/steelhead flies patterns and west coast patterns we use more Nymph egg and wet fly patterns that could easily be considered trout flies on the west coast and we hardly ever see anyone fish with anything bigger than a size 4 fly

Good luck

OSD.

Yea I'm not sure how effective the PM Wigglers aka "PM Blondes" are gonna be. Like I said that was the ony fly featured on the video I bought. I don't claim to be an expert on Salmon by any stretch because I'm a lifelong Smallmouth fisherman. We got 5 days out in that area so I'm hoping for quite a few hook-ups and would be extremely proud of one fish brought to hand. We are going to try to be extremely careful when it comes to "foul hooking" fish and will try to avoid the situation as much as possible, but have heard it's just gonna happen!