Fly Tying
guyverlord3

Cabelas run this weekend

There really isn't anything wrong with that vise as a starter vise and beyond. I have one similar, it's probably the same vise actually but not purchased from Cabela. It's an Indian import sold under several brand names if I'm not mistaken. Note that a reviewer stated the nuts come loose, that was true of mine as well, so I just used lock tight. I've had this vise for I bet 20 years and to this day travel with it because it fits in my tying case. Cheap and even has a rough but functional rotary function to it.

The kit I can't speak about, no experience there. However there is only one review and that reviewer said he did not receive the whip finisher or not that particular one at least. It was left unclear to me if he got none or a different one. Now personally, I've come to like bobbins with a ceramic insert and nylon spool holders. Just saying. And also I like that style whip finisher shown in the picture. You might do better to piece a kit together with not the most expensive pieces but one up notch from those and be sure what you get.. Up to you. It is better than buying a full tying kit though that gives you a bunch of crappy feathers and stuff you can't really use.

Zebra midge isn't a bad place to start if you have use for them where you fish. But be forwarned they are quite small generally. Probably an even better starter fly with a lot of functionality about everywhere is a Woolly Bugger. A Woolly Bugger introduces you to steps you can carry on to more intricate flies. You don't need expensive hackle , a bugger pack will do or an inexpensive hen cape if the feathers are long enough. It gives you some size to work with initially and steps to perform that you can take with you to other wet flies, streamers and even a slight feel towards dry flies.

I have both the vise and the kit. The vise is OK for me as I don't tie all that much, but if I did, I'd look for better quality. The kit is good for a beginner... only tools you might not use, at least right now, are the hair stacker and the whip finisher, I'd advise you to get another bobbin or two.

I have one of those vises that I use from time to time. It does what is required and you may use it several years before you decide to get another.

The tool kit is also good to start. Like FlaFly, get a couple of ceramic bobbins when you get the chance. I would also get a pair of quality scissors. I feel that scissors are not the place to skimp.

A zebra midge is small and really not the place to start. But if you want, go for it. I would recommend a wooly bugger to start.

As has been stated, the vice is a very usable, inexpensive vise. I used one for a couple of decades until the locking lever got a little too galled ... keep it lightly lubricated.

I just recently replaced it with a Griffin Odyssey vise. So, in about 10 to 20 years, you might have to replace that vise.

The tools I use are also from a kit I bought at the same time as the vise (couple of decades ago). The scissors are the only item I have replaced ... and those last about 5 years a pop, depending on how you treat them.

You're good to go with your choices, in my opinion.

I saw from your profile page that you like to fish for trout, didn't say where or what type of waters. If you fill that info in then people here can help you all the better.

But you could do worse than starting out tying some soft hackle flies regardless of where or what water you fish. Any in the series to begin with actually, till you get to know your waters ( or announce them and someone could point you to a pattern or two). Just a suggestion. However, between some smaller woolly buggers , some soft hackles and if your waters require midges then the zebra ,as you mentioned, you would have a good head start toward going and catching fish on flies you tied !

I started out buying the tools piece by piece. I was advised the kit had alot of stuff i may never use. My plan also was to only buy the materials i needed to tie only what i wanted. Boy im telling you, good luck. There are zillions of pieces of material out there, some called by this name some buy another.

The tools i purchased all from Orvis and are good quality, but then again, there is all kind of gadgets you may or may not need. My plan was also to buy a Renzetti but never. Could come up with 100 bucks.

So, finally, i bought an encounter kit from orvis. It had several flies to tie ith instructions and a cd. The materials were only what i needed. This was a smart choice be ause it got me down the road with basics. Now i see all the variations of fly patterns here on this forum. This helps me to branch out and be more versatile.

My only co plaint was that the vise sucks. It has a locking screw instead of a cam. Its never tight enough.

So, to wrap it up. The vise you posted is good for sure.

Buy the encounter kit or

Decide what patterns you want, stay simple and buy only what you need in materials.

My problem is i have no source of materials close enough. I had to go online for everything.

Most importantly, iv only been tying for about a month. Take my advise with a grain of salt.

Cheers

I saw from your profile page that you like to fish for trout, didn't say where or what type of waters. If you fill that info in then people here can help you all the better.

But you could do worse than starting out tying some soft hackle flies regardless of where or what water you fish. Any in the series to begin with actually, till you get to know your waters ( or announce them and someone could point you to a pattern or two). Just a suggestion. However, between some smaller woolly buggers , some soft hackles and if your waters require midges then the zebra ,as you mentioned, you would have a good head start toward going and catching fish on flies you tied !

Well I live in Rogers, AR and fish White River below Beaver Dam in Eureka Springs, AR

Guy,

Hows that Bass Pro Shop in Little Rock stocked for fly fishing stuff. Im about 6 hours from LR

Cabela's kit scissors are OK, but I have several pair of small Fiskars I got at Walmart, and which I prefer. Also can use nail clippers for some things.

Well I live in Rogers, AR and fish White River below Beaver Dam in Eureka Springs, AR

I see your interest in midges then. I was at a site and tried to link it but it came in scrambled , it was regarding that stretch of water, actually the tail water below the dam. It gave a recommendation for flies. On the list were red midges, cream midges, greenmidges, little black size 18 caddis, sculpins too ( good size sculpins, size 6 I believe), and a few other insects or flies, streamers etc. It was up to date as of April 26th. I found it in a general Bing search.

Cabela's kit scissors are OK, but I have several pair of small Fiskars I got at Walmart, and which I prefer. Also can use nail clippers for some things.

I've had a pair of Fiskars in my tying kit for probably 20 years now that still work fine. There are finer bladed scissors and I threaten to buy some but never have. I also use single edge razor blades, I started out using them and still do sometimes.

I see your interest in midges then. I was at a site and tried to link it but it came in scrambled , it was regarding that stretch of water, actually the tail water below the dam. It gave a recommendation for flies. On the list were red midges, cream midges, greenmidges, little black size 18 caddis, sculpins too ( good size sculpins, size 6 I believe), and a few other insects or flies, streamers etc. It was up to date as of April 26th. I found it in a general Bing search.

At this time. I am using midges and nymphs. I have a few zebra midges that work really well that one of my parents friends gave me.

Guy,

Hows that Bass Pro Shop in Little Rock stocked for fly fishing stuff. Im about 6 hours from LR

I have never been to that Bass Pro. Cabelas is here in Rogers, and if I want Bass Pro I can go to Springfield, Bass Pro home office, if I want to.

Next time I am in little Rock I will check it out. I go every 6 months or so

Guy, what color and size are your zebra midges that you have been fishing ? And what nymphs are working ?