Fly Tying
Kudu

Cobia Flies

My first choice is a large all feather pattern in black, red/white, pink/white, or fl. Chartreuse -usually in size 4/0...

We've also had success with smaller Silhouettes in all white, size 1/0 or 2/0...

post-30940-0-71949600-1392427856_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-29053900-1392427901_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-09451900-1392427930_thumb.jpg

The similarity to Capt. Bob's is no accident. I like fishing seaducers and these are just jumbo versions except for the bottom pogie imitation.

I suppose baitfish imitations would work but they take longer to tie and eat up a lot of material.

Many cobia I have cleaned in the past were loaded with crabs so I tied this one up using yak hair for the body. First swim test it sank like a rock, so I glued a piece of orange craft foam on the belly to control the sink and also look like an egg sack. Looks great in the water, now all I need is a fish to fling it at.

Most are tied on Mustad C68ss 4/0.

post-44758-0-94030700-1392660385_thumb.jpg

post-44758-0-89879500-1392660581_thumb.jpg

post-44758-0-88813400-1392660653_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys. Doesn't look as if they are too picky and they like big stuff. I'm going to try some wedding veils, one of my favorite flies and sink slowly. I will also try your suggestions.

Thanks again.

Here's one more pattern that many use for offshore species. It's called the Southern Deceiver and was originally worked up for the Southern Angler fly shop in Stuart, Florida.. They wanted a big herring pattern for working large (really large) snook at night around local bridges and this is what I provided them. Up in Stuart they don't think a snook on fly is remarkable unless it's over 20lbs.... This is nothing more than a full dress version of Lefty's classic Deceiver pattern on a 4/0 heavy hook (originally a Tiemco 800S, now on either a Tiemco 600sp or more commonly on an Owner Aki in 4/0). This is a big, full pattern that measures at least six inches (seven is better if your materials are up to it...).

post-30940-0-70426400-1392727198_thumb.jpg

Hey Cpt.Bob.....That fly is very nice and it reminds me a lot of a fly written up by Tom McNally many years ago for Great Lakes salmon in the rivers. He called it the McNally smelt. It was not quite as long as yours and it had real Polar Bear hair. This was well before all the new synthetic stuff. I tied one up for giggles and still have it in my fly box.

Just went back and measured mine and the two orange ones and the green grizzly are all seven inchers. The pogie on the bottom is 4.5".

Hopefully tomorrow I will get the chance to see how one works. The cobia are starting to show off Brevard County early this year.

Well there were a few cobes out today. All on rays and they wanted live bait not artis. My buddy did coax a fat one to bite his jig so we at least got dinner.

Supposed to blow and get lousy for a few days. So far things are looking better than last year any way.

Just out of curiosity: I know cobia are often found in company with rays, etc. - are they looking for food scraps that the rays stir up? I remember when I was diving years ago, that I often had a trail of mud and baitfish following me, and that would sometimes bring in predators. Same deal with the cobia and rays?

Hey would these be something that might work? I've never caught a cobia, but I'm bound to run into some sooner or later.

post-281-0-05650800-1392852325_thumb.jpg

PJ Cobia are an awesome fish. I've only caught two both in obx. Fight hard get big and taste great. Your flies look like winners to me.

PJ, that's one of the reasons, is that they stir up food. They also provide a mobile form of shelter/structure in the open water. They also often cruise with big sea turtles. On the flats, rays stir up all sorts of baitfish and shrimp off the bottom and basically set up a buffet. Redfish, pompano, etc will all often follow rays and even sharks. Basically if you see a ray, cast at it. Huge snook have long been known to cruise with manatees for the same reasons, but the law man can get a little pissy if you start casting at manatees.