Fly Tying
USCGFlyGuy

These should get them interested

Just received a bunch of new materials Saturday and these are what I have come up with so far. Really like tying with the Sculpin wool, and the Peacock feathers are fun too! Not sure about the XL aluminum eyes yet... but we will see. I cant wait to throw these as soon as the water warms... someday.

Mullet - ish

post-46470-0-67035300-1393968616_thumb.jpg

post-46470-0-99118200-1393968635_thumb.jpg

post-46470-0-14878100-1393968672_thumb.jpg

post-46470-0-38990200-1393968687_thumb.jpg

Big ugly - Should ride hook point up, but I am not sure how the Aluminum eyes will effect it yet.

post-46470-0-41932600-1393968982_thumb.jpg

Love the flies especially the heads. How hard is the sculpin wool to work with and is that craft fur for the tail?

-Matt

Excellent ties. The peacock is a good idea for the tails but may not last to long when the trout start hammering that thing. It is not very durable but I do find it last pretty long as an upper wing. Let us know how those work.

Matt, wool is very easy to work with. Just tie it on in clumps or "spin" it like deer body hair, pack it tight, and then trim. It really sinks the fly when wet but holds its shape well.

I'll have to try some of these. Haven't found a good go-to fly or style of fly for trout yet. Need to look into that sculpin wool too. Nice ties!

I've used a lot of roving for spinning wool in the past. I worked part time at a fiber farm for almost 6 years and got to play with a lot of different stuff. You'll find roving to be a good bit cheaper than sculpin or spinning wool.

Steve

Love the flies especially the heads. How hard is the sculpin wool to work with and is that craft fur for the tail?

-Matt

The Sculpin wool is super easy to work with in my opinion. For the top brownish fly I parted my thread and jammed a ton of the sculpin wool in there before wrapping it and it created the head I like the best. Looked like a serious mess before trimming but I like the finished product the best out of the three. It is a rather small fly if you cant tell, Size 2, and yes the tail is just craft fur.

Excellent ties. The peacock is a good idea for the tails but may not last to long when the trout start hammering that thing. It is not very durable but I do find it last pretty long as an upper wing. Let us know how those work.

Matt, wool is very easy to work with. Just tie it on in clumps or "spin" it like deer body hair, pack it tight, and then trim. It really sinks the fly when wet but holds its shape well.

I can certainly see how the peacock is going to get torn up but it looks great in the mean time!

I'll have to try some of these. Haven't found a good go-to fly or style of fly for trout yet. Need to look into that sculpin wool too. Nice ties!

Thanks! I have been wanting some sculpin wool for a long time and I am pleased with it so far!

I like the peacock addition. If you ever look at small mullet as they swim, their tail will appear black at times. I'd started using a black marker to ink-up the tails on my EP fiber or SF Blend materials.

Nice ties!!!

The good thing about getting the peacock torn up is it means you are catching fish. They may last quite a long time too, who knows. I have caught several mackerel on a marabou fly before it got shredded which surprised me since thought just one would kill the fly. Plus, yours will continue to catch fish even if the peacock gets torn out. Then you can always tie up some more

AndrewP, I agree about the mullet tails. I first noticed that years ago when I would wade waist deep to cast net some in murky water and sometimes all I would see was the black tail as they passed by. For that reason, I use a lot of natural furs with black tips for top wings, like various types of fox, coyote, etc.

This has long been one of my favorite mullet patterns. The top wing is silver fox and when it swims the black tips stick out at the end of the fly to give it that black tail look.

post-18514-0-55698900-1394190607_thumb.jpg

It is definitely a good thing if it's getting torn up! And having to tie a more is really a bonus in my opinion, I really like the Mullet pattern you have there, and I am certainly hooked on the idea of accentuating the black tail.