Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
McFlyLures

Fully Back, Flash Back, Bead Head, Pheasant Tail

The full back, flash back, bead head, Pheasant Tail (wow thats a mouthful)... Is a great fly! Everyone fishes the flash back pheasant tail, and there are many videos on youtube about how to tie them, but I have yet to find one as a full back flash back. I see these in fly shops all the time though, with the full flash back, but never seen people tie them. I find these full back versions do better when fish are spunky. The more flash on them actually attracts the aggressive fish more, especially on sunny days.

I also like tying these heavy, with a bead head and some lead wraps, but you could omit this in your tie if you want. For me though, I like fishing these as my lead fly, something to get the fishes attention, then drop something a little more subtle behind it, even just a regular pheasant tail, or a simple zebra midge. Something without a bead. The extra weight of my lead fly tends to get the whole rig down deep fast, without the need for lead split shot, so it makes a healthier river and easier day on the water not messing with split shot.

Interesting fly. Will tie some up.

Rick

Let me know how they do for you. For me I find that they work better then just putting flash over the wing case... Let me know if you find the same