Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
upinak

Stalcup Medallion Sheeting Substitute Inquiry

I'm tying emerging CDC flies per patterns described in Henry Ramsay's Eastern Hatches. He calls for Stalcup's Medallion Sheeting for mayfly wings. Impossible to find, appears it is no longer made or orderable. I did find Medallion Sheeting in clear in an Anchorage fly shop. I'm also looking for light, medium and dark dun.

Anyone know of a like material I can use instead? I ordered River Road Creations mayfly wing materials. Once here it looks like its standard thin packing foam dyed a speckaled dun color. WAY thicker than Medallion Sheeting.

Suggestions?? Thanks!!!

RT

As pointed out, it is available in a lot of places. Just look a bit harder if you want the original.

As far as a substitute, Swiss Straw (aka raffia) works fine. If you want mottling, just use a magic marker. YMMV.

I believe you can order Stalcup's Medallion wing material from Feather-craft.

Rockworm... A tip of the cap and a Thank You. I have spent hours searching Google only to find a dozen online flyshops that show the sheeting as available, but either it's only in non dun colors or... I order and they cancel the order as unobtainable (3 times now). A call to Feathercraft found clear, mediun dun and dark dun in stock. Still cannot find light dun, the most common mayfly wing color.

In the "expand the knowledge of the universe category", I have been told by multiple flyshops swiss straw is not manufactured in any dun shade. Still looking for a suitable substitute for emerger wings in dun colors.

Thanks all!

RT

The precursor to Medallion Sheeting was Bett's Zing Wing. I believe it is still available.

As for the clear medallion sheeting you should color it with a Cool Grey #2-3 marker from ChartPak or Pantone.

Spray a little adhesive (thinned Shoe Goo or rubber cement) on it and laminate it to another piece of medallion sheeting.

Kimo

upinak

I checked my meager supply of Swiss Straw. None is a dun, but you might find the tan suitable for emerger wings. Personally I would substitue a light dun feather from a hen neck or partridge if I didn't have the Medallion.

The precursor to Medallion Sheeting was Bett's Zing Wing. I believe it is still available.

As for the clear medallion sheeting you should color it with a Cool Grey #2-3 marker from ChartPak or Pantone.

Spray a little adhesive (thinned Shoe Goo or rubber cement) on it and laminate it to another piece of medallion sheeting.

Kimo

Good Day,

Agreed...

Upinak, if you have a Micheals or Hooby Lobby in the Ankorage area, stop in and go to their gift wrap area. You should find rolls of mylar that will (with the use of markers like above) suit your needs. You will get thousands of wings out of one roll...

Steelie

Guys, for anyone still interested in this topic try this....

1. get a tea bag and empty the tea out

2. cutdown the side so you 'butterfly' the tea bag so to speak

3. get some good quality sticky tape and tape over one side

4. The other side is porous so it can be coloured any shade you like

I have medallion sheeting on my tying bench right in front of me right now... alongside my teabag alternative... if ANYONE can tell the difference I'd be most surprised. note, that the other side of the teabag, i.e that side without the tape is porous so can be coloured any shade you like.

Same technique also works for caddis wings btw..... just fold the tape tea bag and if makes an amazingly resilient caddis wing.

Cheers,

Jon

Welcome to the site, JtheB.

Tea bags and dryer sheets.

If you color them, and then coat them with flex-cement, you don't need to worry about the tape separating.

The stuff that Hareline is passing off as "Medallion Sheeting" is not the same stuff that Shane Stalcup produced.
Stalcup's Medallion Sheeting was laminated sheeting made from twine used in machines to wrap packages.
He found it going "dumpster diving" at Pier 1 Imports.
His mother would make it on the kitchen table untwisting this twine and flattening it out. She would then color it with Markers
and apply thinned out Goop and then laminate the pieces back together. I know because I watched her do it.
The stuff being sold by Hareline is just plastic sheets that have had a colored pattern printed on to it.

Kimo

The stuff that Hareline is passing off as "Medallion Sheeting" is not the same stuff that Shane Stalcup produced.

Stalcup's Medallion Sheeting was laminated sheeting made from twine used in machines to wrap packages.

His mother would make it on the kitchen table untwisting this twine and flattening it out. She would then color it with Markers

and apply thinned out Goop and then laminate the pieces back together. I know because I watched her do it.

The stuff being sold by Hareline is just plastic sheets that have had a colored pattern printed on to it.

Kimo

Thanks Kimo, I didn't know that.

Kimo

Thanks Kimo, I didn't know that.

No problem, I just happen to have a lifetime supply of it.

Kimo