Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Pennsylvania winter fishing

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 nedbm3

nedbm3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 06:24 PM

I have been fly fishing for about two years now but never have gone in the winter. I live in south western PA and also fish up north in Potter county often. Should I stick to fishing basic nymphs? Anyone have any suggestions.

http://groups.yahoo....aniaflyfishing/
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work.

#2 fcflyguy

fcflyguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 07:51 PM

Iam from pa also.
I would try hares ear,stone nymphs in black,zugbugs all the standars but I also had good luck with squirrel nymphs in the winter !!!!!!!!!!!! Just rember to fish the slower moving water like the edges of the fast water .
fcflyguy
tied to throw not for show

#3 appalachian angler (tn.)

appalachian angler (tn.)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 08:05 PM

I would stick to the spring "cricks" in winter as their temps stay consistant. The midges are still hatching on them and the fish are generally more active. I never caught too many on the 1st fork or kettle during the winter months. If we got an unusually warm winter day I would go for brookies on Freeman run up by the Austin dam. Try some heavilly weighted Pheasant tails, copper johns or hares ears on a dropper with a picket pin in tow about 12-18" behind. For brookies try a yellow humpy (10 or 12) with a size 16 dropper nymph as mentioned previously but only lightly weighted. Good Luck!

A.A.

PS. I used to live in Wharton, Pa.
"If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies"

-- Bob Lawless.

#4 atroutbum2

atroutbum2

Swapaholic wannabe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 02:53 AM

I live in Pittsburgh myself. Ive had decent luck with nymphs and buggers, but dont forget to carry some midge patterns like the griffiths gnat, you never know when their gonna be sippin midges. Ive been able to take em on top every month of the year.

Good luck.
If a man speaks in the woods, and no woman is there to hear it. Is he still wrong?

Stupid should hurt.

#5 pennscreekrules

pennscreekrules

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 10:25 PM

These other post are good advice in my opinion. I live in Central Pa. I pretty much use the flies I have confidence in the rest of the year in the winter. Fishing the slower water and pockets instead of the riffles and runs. If the streams you fish have stone flies they are usually a good bet. So are your standard pheasant tails, hares ears, caddis larvea and midge patterns. One other thing is try fishing your favorite woolly buger pattern like you would a nymph. Throw it up stream or up and a cross and dead drift it on the bottom back to you, if you get no takes, then let it go past till your line tightens below you and give it a few soft twitches. This can be effective especially along the banks. Good luck

#6 mcfly

mcfly

><> ><> ><> ><> ><>

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 10:36 PM

Western PA here..

Streamers and nymphs are your best bet. Caddis seems to work well for me.
To avoid situations in which you might make mistakes may be the biggest mistake of all. - Peter McWilliams

#7 Bob_A

Bob_A

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 05:25 PM

I live in Eastern PA. I have had pretty good luck with nymphs.

#8 fcflyguy

fcflyguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 07:46 PM

pa fisherman rock headbang.gif
fcflyguy
tied to throw not for show

#9 bly65

bly65

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 08:40 PM

western part of Pa isnt to good in the winter time, some stuff freezes and some doesnt. Neshanock is usually open. other than that i would stick to basic nymphs(black/brown stones size 16 or 18) egg patterns for the rainbows(ss and estaz eggs) and streamers/boogers. Like everyone else said, take midges! on some sunny days they do the trick.
screaming reels, bly

#10 nedbm3

nedbm3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 12:22 AM

I have been out on some of our warmer days and have done decent using nymphs. I didn't get a chance to catch a midge hatch yet. I plan on going out this week. It will be warmer and sunny. Maybe, I will have better luck then.

#11 sandflyx

sandflyx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 07:13 AM

nymps, buggers, streamers fished slow, midges, the little black stone is hatching here in eastern pa. along with some midges.

sandfly/bob

www.facebook.com/bigmeadowsflyshop/

N.J.B.B.A. #2215
fly tying and fishing instructor/shop owner

"I TIE FROM BILLFISH TO GUPPIE FLY'S" !
Fly Fishing and Tying Ghillie

#12 Slate_Drake_9

Slate_Drake_9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 10:05 PM

I live on Pine Creek in Potter County and fish many of the streams within 50 miles of me. I suggest hare's ears, pheasant tails and buggers (all black and black/olive). Typically, if you can't catch a fish on those flies then you probably will not catch a fish on any flies.

Fishing with bait is like swearing in church.
Slate Drake

#13 nedbm3

nedbm3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 10:17 PM

I haven't had a chance to get up to Potter lately but I might get up there on Monday. Hopefully, I will get a chance to get out and do some fishing.