Fly Tying
Permitcapt

Epoxy crabs

Crabs have been a mainstay of my arsenal for years. Epoxy crabs are a favorite of mine, as so many variations can be made, and they are fun to make. A whole host of different feathers and other natural and synthetic materials can be used to make claws and legs. The key to a successful crab pattern is how it acts, more importantly than how it looks. It must sink properly with the hook point up most times, usually at an angle of about 30 degrees, and land upright every time. If it is stripped, it must track perfectly upright, never wobbling or worse yet, spinning. It is all about how it is weighted. Different weights can be used, but the end result must always be the same. Weights are most functional when under the hook shank, and near the front of the hook. Floating crabs, of course, are the exception, they must float upright every time, hook point preferably down.

I caught my first permit on one of these many years ago, and a number of my clients and guide friends did as well, back when I was guiding in the lower Keys. I tied these pictured for Partridge Days at the Catskill Fly Fishing Center in September 2014, hosted by Joe Fox and Dettetroutflies.compost-55273-0-62607800-1459038417_thumb.jpeg

post-55273-0-56808900-1459038472_thumb.jpeg

Perm... those are beauties. Are you going for cobia?

I used to target them often in Jan and Feb in the lower keys, after the water warmed to over 71 degrees. There are certain flats that they hitch-hike over sting rays. It is one of my favorite fishing scenarios. Now living in Apalachicola I only occasionally target them, as they overlap with tarpon. Usually they cruise the beaches on the gulf, but sometimes are found bayside around St. George Island and bayside on Cape San Blas. I caught one late this fall over a ray on a SGI flat. That was unusual though. Here many boats ride around all day using their "tuna" towers to sight cobia on the beaches and near steucture. The fish are harrassed too much, so I am disinclined to chase them with my Maverick HPX.

Are the bodies made of foam, and then epoxied. Legs made of what?

Bodies are various loose weave, but stiff fabrics that are glued to hook, and then coated with tinted epoxy. I do not use foam, as it has various problems, like providing flotation, thereby necessitating more weight. Craft stores have various fabric choices. Legs as you can see are made from hackles, or synthetics, like the braided tubing that once was used put a loop on the end of a fly line. Other choices can be rubber bands or silicone legs, or anything that you can dream up. Be creative.

Here is a selfie I took of a 29 inch redfish that "stole" one of these crabs that I cast to a half-dozen pompano that jumped up on the flat I was fishing. It's not often that I am disappointed to catch an out-of-slot redfish.

post-55273-0-15371600-1459090146_thumb.jpeg

Great picture. But that guy on your shoulder isn't smiling.

Great flies. How do you usually fish them? Do you drift them with the tide or sight cast in front of fish and let them sit? Do ou ever blind cast them and slowly retrieve then across the bottom? I imagine any of the above would work well with these

That is a valid question. I have never blind cast them. Sight casting is the only way I fish them, either by letting them drop in front of a redfish, permit, or bonefish, or as you mentioned, casting upcurrent from fish I see and let the current wash the bait to the fish. Occasionally I will give them a short strip or bump to get a fish's attention if the cast lands too far from the fish, or if the fish is facing away from it. The primary reason I would not choose to blind cast them is because the are not an ideal fly to strip and probe territory with. A more streamlined or castable and retrievable fly would certainly be more effective for that purpose.

Neat. I fished out of Panama City for cobia and there were so many boats chasing cobia that I felt sorry for them. I never even saw a cobia that day. I did watch some drones take off which was cool. I really don't see how the fishing will be or could continue to be good with that much pressure along their migration route knowing that most people that catch them view them as a cheeseburger that is coming home as the guest of honor. I do keep fish and wholeheartedly believe in eating them but what I saw there was different and bordering on irresponsible.

Crabs have been a mainstay of my arsenal for years. Epoxy crabs are a favorite of mine, as so many variations can be made, and they are fun to make. A whole host of different feathers and other natural and synthetic materials can be used to make claws and legs. The key to a successful crab pattern is how it acts, more importantly than how it looks. It must sink properly with the hook point up most times, usually at an angle of about 30 degrees, and land upright every time. If it is stripped, it must track perfectly upright, never wobbling or worse yet, spinning. It is all about how it is weighted. Different weights can be used, but the end result must always be the same. Weights are most functional when under the hook shank, and near the front of the hook. Floating crabs, of course, are the exception, they must float upright every time, hook point preferably down.

I caught my first permit on one of these many years ago, and a number of my clients and guide friends did as well, back when I was guiding in the lower Keys. I tied these pictured for Partridge Days at the Catskill Fly Fishing Center in September 2014, hosted by Joe Fox and Dettetroutflies.comattachicon.gifimage.jpeg

great looking crabs....

I caught my first permit on one of these many years ago, and a number of my clients and guide friends did as well, back when I was guiding in the lower Keys. I tied these pictured for Partridge Days at the Catskill Fly Fishing Center in September 2014, hosted by Joe Fox and Dettetroutflies.comattachicon.gifimage.jpeg

great looking crabs....

Thanks!