Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Chia

help fishing Navarre

Head to the ocean for the first time and I am taking a 10wt with double weld wt forward 10 wt saltwater line. I have double bunnies, clouser minnows, and craft fur minnows. What I don't have is any idea of what type of leader/tippet combo I need. I would like to catch any and everything at least once, but prefer the ones that taste good! any help on finishing the set up would be great! thanks

http://imgur.com/a/QmSLw

edit, added link

Will you have a boat or kayak? And try tying some surf candies for some beach Jacks and ladyfish.

I will have my kayak. I don't know how far out I will go. I think there will some fishing for lady fish. I will look up the pattern. Thanks!

You might want to take an 8wt too if you have one. Unless you find some jumbo reds the 8 will be more pleasant casting all day.

Here are the flies I have made up for my Florida trip. Amy I missing any patterns or color I should have?

post-57539-0-07549900-1466951644_thumb.jpeg

I fish a 6wt in the salt all the time. If you have room, bring it. If you have stronger offshore winds the Gulf may be a bad place to be using a yak, you could end up way offshore in a hurry. I'd also bring a few crab/shrimp/creature flies. That way you can fish inside unless it's just totally nasty. Some even darker streamers than you already have in the smaller sizes would also cover that. If you don't have time to tie more then fish what you have. Presentation beats pattern more often than not. Size can be more of a factor but it looks like you are in the zone already. I've never fished up there, but it can't be that much different than down here. Everything that eats for a living down here will eat a bay anchovy at some point (chart over white). Oh, bring some wire, that area can be lousy with King Mackerel from what I hear. Don't quote me on that last bit.

Thanks. I have some smaller streamers in my bass box I will bring a long. A friend from NC is mailing me crab and shrimp patterns. I would love to hook into some kings. A friend is going with so we have the buddy system on the kayaks and will fish some in the sound too. Thanks for the advise. I will tie some chart / white craft fur tonight. I have never fished the double bunnies yet so idk how they will look compared to the craft fur.

Thanks again!

Fort Myers for the last 9 yrs. Lived in your neck of the woods (Melbourne) for 18 yrs before that.

Tried surf fishing, but the June grass is bad. Hit the pier today to see the tarpon. Taking the kayak and fly rod out tomorrow. A lot different than I expected.

Jellyfish suck ass. Not a great day.

LOL Have a bit of a problem with the jelly fish? I am sure they don't put up much of a fight.

Another of the MANY reason I don't bother driving over to salt water.