Fly Tying
sniksoh

how can i make a cheap easy thread holder???

Not really sure what you would use to make bobbin. Basically you don't have to use a bobbin, but it is easier to use one. If you are serious about fly tying then go ahead a buy a bobbin. I have one so far, and never thought I would need/want more than one.... sad part is I need/want at least 2 more.

The bobbin is only a small part of fly tying. Buying items and materials gets worse and alot more expensive. I have gotten out pretty cheap so far with a little over $1000.00 into this hobby and I just started last fall and I spend more each time I visit a fly shop. :bugeyes:

i need a thread holder but i dont want to by it...any suggestions???

Are you talking about a place to store your threads? If so, spend the 7 bucks at Walmart in the sewing section and get you one of the wooden fold out kind. You couldn't build it that cheap....

or are you talking bobbin???

Dano

im talkin about the ones with the wooden dowels stcking out to hold all ur thread...get it?

Well, why didn't you say thread holder? :P

I thought you were talking about bobbin. :D

Here's a couple of thread holders. Not too hard to make a thread holder, but these are nice:

IPB Image

IPB Image

YEAH I SAW THOSE ONES AT WALLY WORLD TODAY BUT I DONT HAVE NEARLY THAT MUCH THREAD. SO I JUST PLANNED ON MAKING ONE WITH A BLOCK OF WOOD AND SOME DOWELS...JUST WANTED TO SEE WHAT U SUGGESTED.

Well, why didn't you say thread holder? :P

i did say thread holder in my first post!?!?!...lol!!!!

NO! Those aren't my thread racks.

Right click on the pics and go to properties and left click on it. In the center will be the URL address I got the pics from. Just done a search on Google Image and these came up so I figured I would post them for you to get ideas. Right now I have my thread in plastic bins sorted by size. The Wal-mart racks would have been way too small and too bulky for my needs. Right now I have over 50 spools of thread and over 20 spools of wire. (I buy assortments of colors in each size.) I am more than likely going to make a rack that is a combination of the two racks pictured after I get my tying room. The rack will have pull out drawers that are stair-stepped. That way the whole box is smaller, but will hold a great deal of thread and wire.

Lots of ways to make one that fits your needs.

If I had a thread holder that big i guess i would have to buy more thread ...... bummer!!!