Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Anyone know what bird this is?

16 replies to this topic

#1 Bazzer69

Bazzer69

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 11:45 PM

Anyone know what bird this skin is?

Attached Thumbnails

• 7CF95D88-01A1-499B-B00D-5185F93CD963.jpeg

#2 Rocco

Rocco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 06:49 AM

Golden Pheasant?

Rocco

#3 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 09:19 AM

https://en.wikipedia...Golden_pheasant

Looks like it is missing the head and neck. (crest & tippets) but it's hard to tell.

78333.Jpg

#4 Mogup

Mogup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 10:18 AM

I was going to guess golden as well.

#5 rstaight

rstaight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 10:44 AM

Based on the white feathers on the neck my first thought was Lady Amherst.

"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.  Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary." - Patrick F. McManus

#6 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 01:05 PM

can compare here https://www.crazycro...m/pheasant-skin

#7 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,937 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 01:24 PM

a dead one

signature-bar.jpg

Fly tyers sure do have a way at making things complicated

Beware of the negativity being displayed

#8 Flicted

Flicted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 01:43 PM

Definitely a golden

#9 Bazzer69

Bazzer69

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 01:23 AM

Thanks guys. I saw this for sale and all those lovely red feathers made me think it was a rare bird.
Thanks

#10 Crackaig

Crackaig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 07:08 AM

That is just the body the Head and crest, and the tail, are all missing. They are, of course, the more useful parts. As that skin sits don't pay more than $5 for it. You may not even get value for your money out of it then. Off hand I can only think of one pattern that uses those feathers.
Cheers,

C.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical
minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd
by the clean end"

#11 Piker20

Piker20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,238 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 09:26 AM

That is just the body the Head and crest, and the tail, are all missing. They are, of course, the more useful parts. As that skin sits don't pay more than $5 for it. You may not even get value for your money out of it then. Off hand I can only think of one pattern that uses those feathers.
Cheers,
C.

Formal patterns, yep not much use but the body feathers still have a good effect on soft hackle patterns. Plenty of fibres to tail nymphs and they are far from useless skins. I have a couple of the hot orange ones Cookshill does and find them useful.
Matthew 25: 35-36 "Out of every 100 men, 10 shouldnt even be there, 80 are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior and he will bring the others back. "No man ever steps in the same river twice"   Heraclitus, 5 B.C

Based Scottish Highlands. UK

MUSTAD The wise anglers choice.

#12 Crackaig

Crackaig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 03:00 PM

It has its uses, but was retailed for about £2:50 when I last saw one sans head and tail. $5 would be expensive given the exchange rate. With Steve's (Cookshill) you will pay more for the dying than the skin.

Cheers,

C.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical
minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd
by the clean end"

#13 chugbug27

chugbug27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 03:25 PM

Bearsden sells a nice head & neck for $12 and sells them together with the rest of the bird (no tail) for $16
cb27

#14 vicrider

vicrider

Advanced Member

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,729 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 10:51 PM

Cheers,

C.

That was my first thought looking at that. What feathers are any good on it? I have used the red whispy feathers carefully tied as soft hackles and maybe some of them could be used in a Mrs. Simpson but overall the best feathers just ain't there anymore.

#15 dflanagan

dflanagan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 02:30 AM

Most of the body feathers are great for panfish flies, especially the breast and rump feathers. Wing feathers can be used for winged wets. I bet those greenish-blue neck feathers could be used on streamers. I've also played around a time or two with the rump and breast feathers trying to tie spey-type flies...horrible results but that was an operator error thing.

Tight lines,
David

Reply to this topic