Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

wooly bugger or muddler minnow

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

Poll: Which do you like to use better during early trout season?

Which do you like to use better during early trout season?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#46 Philly

Philly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 11:41 AM

I may have fished a muddler or two when I started fly fishing.  Don't use them at all.  Come to think of it I haven't had much luck using standard size woolly buggers.  I have caught many trout, stocked and wild, on small woolly buggers tied on size 14 or 16 3 or 4 XL hooks.  Down sized versions of the White River Demon(white bugger), Chili Pepper(orange, copper and brown) and a Catskill Killer(white and yellow).  I usually dead drift them or fish them as droppers under a larger dry fly.

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."

#47 Jim P

Jim P

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 03:13 PM

"Refuse to choose"  Both flies are killers, a selection of colors and sizes of just these two flies and you could catch most fish in most places.

#48 Beaver Tooth

Beaver Tooth

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 11:47 PM

muddler for brooke ,     bugger for  rainbows

cheers

#49 Flicted

Flicted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 11:36 AM

Depends. I agree with "Refuse to Choose". If I am serving leeches for dinner, I might use a bugger. If I am serving certain bait fish, a muddler might be the choice. A muddler doesn't make a good leech and a bugger doesn't make a good baitfish.

#50 Charlie P. (NY)

Charlie P. (NY)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 10:23 PM

Early season a cone head black Woolly Bugger; deep and slow  

Late season a black or olive Woolly Bugger; twitched.

August - an unweighted Muddler Minnow.  Trout take them as hoppers fished along the bank.

Not that Pearsall

Pearsalls_logo.gif

#51 YetiHunter

YetiHunter

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 12:19 PM

That's a tough choice, but I went with the Muddler. I don't leave home without both.