Fly Tying
Mike West

Hackle Pliers....😡!!!!!!

I'm 58 and bought a pair of hackle pliers in the 1st grade (8 years old) for like .25-.50 cents

Two weekends ago they turned up missing. I'm the only one there and

I just used them....tore the place apart looking for them..nothing, they are gone!

I think they ended up in the trim basket and then I emptied the trim basket into the trash.

These were just cheap India or Chinese spring hackle pliers but man did they work.

I lost a tool I had for 50 years that work, I'm really upset over it.

So I went to the local fly shop and bought 3 different kinds....all cheap

and they all sucked,meaning they slipped. Went back the next weekend and threw them on the table and donated them to the cause ,they teach newbies and kids there.

I'm using Radio Shack spring loaded clips right now and actually they work fine so far.

But I do want a decent pair of Hackle Pliers though. I've had the C&F Design ones in my hands and tried them out and they are bomb..the quill will break before they slip and I found them very comfortable in the hand but what I didn't find very comfortable was the price!!!

So I'm looking to try these out next any opinions pros & cons ?

http://www.jsflyfishing.com/tyflyz-toolz-hackle-tweezer

Some folks like those, I haven't tried them. A lot of people like these : http://www.jsflyfishing.com/hareline-fly-hook-hackle-plier

And I personally use this style though not this brand, I like them because they are simple and very light weight: http://www.jsflyfishing.com/js-tools-tear-drop-hackle-pliers

I now use the sprung electric clip type and for ease/cost I can't see myself changing. The C&F ones, if you like them aren't too expensive if they last you another 30yrs+

I've had these since they first showed up at Charlies Fly Box and like them a lot.

3054.Jpg

Kimo

I've one of these, at home. Accidentally left them there.

Had them for decades and they function, barely. They will hold, but not all the time.

I needed one out here, so I bought one of these.

I loved them, but they snapped.

I just bought and tried this.

Worst one I've ever used. It's going back to the store, today.

No donation ... I want my money back.

I need to find the kind Kimo posted.

You can modify the pincers type by creating a pad of dried glue/whatever between the jaws. Spread the jaws just enough to create room for a thin layer, wedge that position open and insert a glossy non stick medium like tape in the openiong between the glue layers. Let dry and remove the tape and the wedge. Not stronger just grabbier than the polished metal.

Rocco

You can modify the pincers type by creating a pad of dried glue/whatever between the jaws. Spread the jaws just enough to create room for a thin layer, wedge that position open and insert a glossy non stick medium like tape in the openiong between the glue layers. Let dry and remove the tape and the wedge. Not stronger just grabbier than the polished metal.

Rocco

I just use dubbing wax for the same thing.

I'm 58 and bought a pair of hackle pliers in the 1st grade (8 years old) for like .25-.50 cents

Two weekends ago they turned up missing. I'm the only one there and

I just used them....tore the place apart looking for them..nothing, they are gone!

I think they ended up in the trim basket and then I emptied the trim basket into the trash.

These were just cheap India or Chinese spring hackle pliers but man did they work.

I lost a tool I had for 50 years that work, I'm really upset over it.

So I went to the local fly shop and bought 3 different kinds....all cheap

and they all sucked,meaning they slipped. Went back the next weekend and threw them on the table and donated them to the cause ,they teach newbies and kids there.

I'm using Radio Shack spring loaded clips right now and actually they work fine so far.

But I do want a decent pair of Hackle Pliers though. I've had the C&F Design ones in my hands and tried them out and they are bomb..the quill will break before they slip and I found them very comfortable in the hand but what I didn't find very comfortable was the price!!!

So I'm looking to try these out next any opinions pros & cons ?http://www.jsflyfishing.com/tyflyz-toolz-hackle-tweezer

These rock, best pliers yet for delicate twists. Put a little vinyl tubing on one prong, even better.

I have c&f midge & normal! If you listen to every vise thread? All a vise has to do is hold a hook! Then if all a hackle plier has to do is hold a hackle! It's c&f!

I put a piece of heat shrink tubing on each hackle plier jaw. Grips great and won't cut hackle. When it gets a little greasy and doesn't grip as well, pull em off and replace them. Heat the heat shrink with a lighter so it molds around the jaws. Get a size of shrink tubing that just fits over the hackle plier jaws.

Bob

I've done the heat shrink thing before in fact the ones I just loss had heat shrink on one side and ShoeGoo on the other side. I've tried all kinds of tricks in the past

Think I'll buy the ones I asked about...heck its only about $10

Thx guys

I've had a pair of English hackle pliers for a long time. I smoothed off the jaws with extra fine sandpaper and they seem to hold a hackle just fine.

Mike,

I have to agree with Kimo as I have recently swapped to the TyFlyz "hackle tweezers" and love them! They hold like nobody's business and won't break the stem. They aren't the heaviest pliers/tweezers but have enough weight to keep decent tension when dangling below the vise. Highly recommended!

Regards,
Jed