Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Rjohn7

scrounging materials again.

I was out at a "craft supplies rummage sale." today and came home with another three totes worth of stuff- bonnie braid, different types of stuff for dubbing, even a huge role of crystal cord (which makes really good segmented bodies- check youtube.) All stuff that I've seen used (or used myself before) but much more than I need.

So... Any one that wants a 'surprise' package made up of pretty much anything thats made it's way into these totes, drop me a line and I'll get some sent out. Its available to anyone who is active on the forum, not just beginners. So drop me a line I'd like to move some stuff into other hands that'll use it!

R.

Glad the chenille worked well for you. There's, some in this haul also a larger size. Still have plenty of the smaller size left but its in the storage unit because my new work bench is getting built, so when that comes back out that's available too. There is a lot of fibers for dubbing, a lot of synthetic fiber will work nicely for anyone that wants to blend some.

the elastic stuff used for these is available too for anyone that wants to try some:

Also not sure how safe it is to post the addy here in the thread. I was able to read threads before I became a member.

I'll jump in, too. curious to try the elastic stuff. Thanks for the offer, will PM you my address.

I'm planning on getting the first batch of this stuff mailed today. I really appreciate people letting me know what they are most interested in. It takes time to card fibers for dubbing, or hand wind tinsel etc. So knowing someone isn't interested in something that takes time makes it so much faster on something that has turned out to be time consuming. Sorry its taken so much time to get the first batch ready to go. Hope to get time to get the tracking numbers out to people today, if not look for them Monday.

For those that asked about costs and shipping costs, when you get your package you'll see what the postage was if you wish to reimburse that amount, but only that amount.

Enjoy!

R.J.

A big thank you RJ. Just moved to New Orleans, and you've just set me up for my new life here. Very generous.

post-60546-0-64309900-1552934682_thumb.jpg

Glad you are pleased.

You might try pulling strands from para cord also. good neon colors and very fine and flossy. pulls out the same way as bonnie braid. pull the core out first. and do shorter lengths like 5 feet or it fluffs up and becomes a mess.

Got my package today! Very impressive! Thanks for your generous nature!

Will keep me busy for a long time!

Got home Saturday morning, about 3:00am. Spent the rest of the time 'til now catching up.

Finally got a chance to open my box 'o stuff!

Very nice collection of synthetic materials. I haven't even been able to go through it all. I'll take some pictures over the next day or so.

Thank you, R.J.

Mike

well I've gotten a fairly wide selection of beads and so far they seem to be doing alright on the hooks I use. My smallest is a 20 and I'd test others on smaller if I had them. There are much much smaller which may well fit other sizes. Its going to take me a few weeks at least to go through and check what hook sizes they'll fit on before they're generally available in the giveaways. The smaller sizes would likely make great eyes on some fine monofiliment. The smallest are a 26/0 which is incredibly tiny. but might make some very cool eyes for small flies. These are pretty much all antique and evidently the smallest czech seed bead still being made is a 13/0- this is according to a distributor. (The Japanese are making 15/0 tube beads.)

(some 12/0 on hooks for a try)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/555vxun3s1b6thi/IMG_20190404_050558789.jpg?dl=0

(26/0 the smallest size I bought)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s8tcxgilj684ot7/IMG_20190404_051943113.jpg?dl=0

I was out at a "craft supplies rummage sale." today and came home with another three totes worth of stuff- bonnie braid, different types of stuff for dubbing, even a huge role of crystal cord (which makes really good segmented bodies- check youtube.) All stuff that I've seen used (or used myself before) but much more than I need.

So... Any one that wants a 'surprise' package made up of pretty much anything thats made it's way into these totes, drop me a line and I'll get some sent out. Its available to anyone who is active on the forum, not just beginners. So drop me a line I'd like to move some stuff into other hands that'll use it!

R.

Hi Rjohn7,

I’m just getting started again, anything you don’t want or need would be so appreciated!

This is an awesome offer! I’m thanking you in advance! Address messaged!