Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Mark Knapp

A school of black nosed dace

There was some discussion a little while ago about substitutions for polar bear. Black Nosed Dace entered the discussion when Flicted mentioned that the original was tied with all three species of American bears; polar bear, grizzly bear and black bear.

I decided to tie some daces with a variety of materials starting with the bears and exploring some substitutes.

DSCF3811-XL.jpg

Here are some close-ups

DSCF3793%20%282%29-XL.jpg

Starting with the three bears, polar bear, grizzly bear and black bear.

DSCF3800-XL.jpg

Skunk and Brown Fox Tail (ranch)

DSCF3801-XL.jpg

Mountain Goat, Brown and Black Bison.

DSCF3804-XL.jpg

Buck Tail

Alaska doesn't have Black Nosed Daces but I'm sure these will all work here. I'm not sure if the subtle differences in color would make a difference to the fish ( It wouldn't here in Alaska, it may in places where fish get a lot of pressure), the differences in how these materials move in water may.

NO, I'm no picture taker, I struggle with it a lot. My next step would be to invest in a better camera. I don't want to do that until I can tie flies worthy of the investment.

Thank you for your kind words.

I always did them with the three colors of bucktail until I got a small patch of black bear. For the past 10 years, I have done white and brown bucktail and black bear. We don't have many black nosed dace around Omaha either. But it's one of my favorite spring streamers for crappie and bass.

Bruce, where would you use the badger on a dace, for the white or the black. Or just use the badger and another color for the brown on the dace?

Here are two that I will send you. One has a Floss Tail. Both are Mountain Goat, Black Bear, Bucktail.

post-63419-0-74381300-1555984165_thumb.jpeg

post-63419-0-55558800-1555984181_thumb.jpeg

I like these old bucktail streamers. I had not thought of them in a long time. I like the Mickey Finn, also.

Flicted, those look great.

Dog face, probably can't call it a Black Nosed Dace but it looks great and probably will catch a lot of fish.

DP, yep, the old streamers are great. Norm's (flytire) been doing a bunch of great streamers.