Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
brooktrout308

Metz Capes

I'm thinking about maybe buying some ok one Metz Cape I checked on ebay and only saw Light blue dun and Dark blue dun, did Metz ever have a Med. blue dun ? I'm really not up on who has what 99% of my necks came from a local farmer, so I have like brown, black, cream, white, Plymouth. I'm hoping better feathers better flies = more fish.

Yup. Not sure how easy they are to find however. I much prefer the Whiting capes which are readily available and they have a broad enough product line that they've got most price points covered. I cannot say better flies/feathers catch more fish, but they certainly make the process more enjoyable.

A dun colored cape is really one you want to see and handle before you buy it. There's a lot of variation and interpretation in the colors. Also, as I was told by Charlie Collins, the dun capes often have thicker stems and lower barb counts, especially if you are looking at a natural dun.

Some producers have dun dyed over white that are more consistent and better quality.