Fly Tying
Idaho RC

Cabela's 30% Off Fly Tying

Our local Cabela's in Boise, Idaho has all of their fly tying products for 30% off. It's in store not the online ordering. They did the same thing after Christmas last year. I didn't notice how long the sale is for.

Yes Idaho I scored on some Tiemco hooks at 30% off. The employees there weren't even aware of the sale.

I stopped at the Cabelas in Massachusetts on my way home from work last night. Most of the fly fishing section had been consolidated to make room for ice fishing paraphernalia. They do have a short aisle of materials but I didn't see any indication that there was a sale going on. Eventually I found a sales guy in fishing and asked him to check a price on a double pack of dumbell eyes. (He asked me what they were.) I inquired about any sales in fly materials and he knew nothing about it. I picked up more eyes and a couple bucktails. When I check out I confirm that most of the materials are in fact 30% off. Looked at the web site today and some of the vises/tools and such are discounted as well. This fairly new store could sure use some management.

I have heard that. I have one of the Cabela's Visa cards that I use for virtually all of our household purchases to take advantage of the free stuff (Cabela's Bucks) you get at Cabela's buy using the card. I vaguely remember reading a note on the Cabela's Visa Card page that said something to the effect that it would be business as usual. It didn't say much other than no changes were going to be made. At least for now.

I try to buy from the local fly shops here but because of the Cabela's bucks I only live about a mile away from the store I end up buying quite a but from them. I guess it isn't actually buying if I don't pay for ti?

Prybis,

I heard that. New store, that didn't stock enough fly fishing to start with. You have low stocks, people don't go back, you don't sell.

When the Gander Mountain opened in Lafayette I went in about 2 weeks after opening. No fly fishing at all. One of the sales folks asked if he could help. I asked where the fly fishing was. He said they didn't have anything. I asked him if they realized that there is a huge fly fishing community in the area. I was told they are starting to see that because they were getting asked at least once a day and they were working on it.

Well they did work on it. It still is pitiful, but it almost takes up four shelves now.

I might have mentioned this to you before, rstaight, but I am originally from Logansport.

I haven't lived there since 1979 ... and I haven't even visited there since ... '92 or so. Just thought I'd bring up how small the World is.

Now I know the problem with Logansport. :) It is a small world.

The Eel River is well known for a winter fishery. The power plant on the river has a warm water discharge and keeps the water temp around 70 degs in the winter months.

Funny guy ... but you're right. Logansport's gone downhill since the day I left. It was so much MORE when I lived there.

Eel and Wabash ... I learned to fish on those two rivers. Canoe trips from Mexico, IN back to Logansport were the highlight of our summers.

Prybis,

I heard that. New store, that didn't stock enough fly fishing to start with. You have low stocks, people don't go back, you don't sell.

When the Gander Mountain opened in Lafayette I went in about 2 weeks after opening. No fly fishing at all. One of the sales folks asked if he could help. I asked where the fly fishing was. He said they didn't have anything. I asked him if they realized that there is a huge fly fishing community in the area. I was told they are starting to see that because they were getting asked at least once a day and they were working on it.

Well they did work on it. It still is pitiful, but it almost takes up four shelves now.

IMHO Gander Mountain went down hill when they had to have there Guide Series of fishing gear. They even did away with the fly tying at this time. At least 4 years ago. Now, it seems as if they want to be a gun store before anything else.

The story on Cabela's is low sales in this region. Fly Fishing and tying is not big enough for them to stock and turn a profit in our local stores in this region. They still have some (very little) fly fishing like leaders and a few rods and reels (Cabela's Brand) for sale. I would rather support my local shops, and I am supporting Wildcat Creek Outfitters more since they support PHW.

I think our Cabela's store done away with the 30% off went down there 2 yrs. in a row, both years the sales people in the fly tying and fly fishing dept. said they didn't know anything about it, really pissed a lot of people off.

At Cabelas in Cincinnati, they told me they are dropping all fly tying and almost all fly fishing! I spoke to several "outfitters" who all said the same Thing!