Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
MuskyFlyGuy

Question for Mike

Mike,

We have about 4 more months of ice in Minnesota. Would you be willing to share your 4 top crappie flies and their recipes? After watching your video on the St Johns, the days are dragging until I can catch dinner.

Thanks,

Tom

Tom,

First, please understand that I am not a Crappie hunter. I go after fish, and whatever hits is great for me. Those last two videos are just dumb luck that the Crappie are the "poisson du jour".

Now, the flies I caught those Crappie on:

Most of them were caught on "Chell's Panfish Attractor".

Hook: size 8 Eagle Claw Aberdeen or similar. I also tie some on an 8 limerick hook for a slightly smaller fly.

Eyes: chrome bead chain

Body: dubbing in a loop, for a little bulk ... I like subdued natural colors, preferring tan or orange.

Tail: FTD's Pearl Web in blue or pearl

Wing: Racoon tail, just thick enough to be a bit of a weed guard.

A couple were caught on richmc's "Satin Streamer".

Fibers are stripped from a piece of satin scrap. Very fine fibers and I am not sure if there's a substitute material.

Tie it in with a few strands of flash, build a head and put some eye marks on it. I used clear fingernail polish to cover the head.

Over the years, I've caught a few Crappie here and there on another of my attempts to copy grass shrimp. I'd never seen anything like them when I first moved to Florida in 1992. SO, I tried to mimic them.

"Chell's Grass Shrimp"

Hook: popper hook. The grass shrimp have oddly "bent" bodies, and the bends in the popper hook looked similar.

Body: pink or green thread.

"Proof of life" wings: FTD white congo hair. I kind of hope it's somewhat translucent under water.

Eyes: white plastic bead chain

I don't have a fourth. Any Crappie I've caught has come on one of those three patterns. None of them are particularly special. But maybe it'll give you something to improve upon.

Mike,

We have about 4 more months of ice in Minnesota. Would you be willing to share your 4 top crappie flies and their recipes? After watching your video on the St Johns, the days are dragging until I can catch dinner.

Thanks,

Tom

Mike just provided three very nice crappie patterns... if you are seeking more, search Chris Milhuka for Crappie Specials

You know mike is coming up from Florida to acclimate at base camp 1 (Chicago) before heading to base camp 2 in Michigan. Why waste all that acclimation. Maybe he can continue to Minnesota so he can show you how those flies slay the crappie through the ice. No no need for an ice house since he will have lost all feelings of his fingers and toes before leaving Michigan.

Hey Mike,

Love those Chell's Panfish Attractor flies. Gretchen & I will try some for spring crappie and perch fishing. Take care & ...