Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

What Happens When.............?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 Piker20

Piker20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,311 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 03:51 PM

I knew a guy who cut the 'hook' off his flies and fished for the take.
Not my idea of fun, I enjoy playing a fish on well balanced tackle and winning and then having a glimpse of the fish.
I am not a fan of gearing up with rods and line that's far too heavy for the target, something that seems to be quite prevalent in fly fishing.
Matthew 25: 35-36 "Out of every 100 men, 10 shouldnt even be there, 80 are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior and he will bring the others back. "No man ever steps in the same river twice"   Heraclitus, 5 B.C

Based Scottish Highlands. UK

MUSTAD The wise anglers choice.

#17 Capt Bob LeMay

Capt Bob LeMay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 05:08 PM

I did have a customer, an elderly guy - long used to having his own way... that wasn't much fun to be around when things didn't go his way... After the third or fourth temper tantrum he threw down one of my rods in anger... I actually build just about 99% of the rods on my skiff -but long ago figured out that I just couldn't replace a broken fly rod quickly enough - so the fly rods are mostly factory rods... That day we weren't fly fishing so it was one of my rods that I'd built myself that got abused... I didn't say a word to him about it -but the next time he called I was busy and have been busy ever since as far as he's concerned... 

I have no kick if a customer breaks a rod on a fish (and wouldn't think of asking for an extra penny over a broken rod - as long as we were fishing at the time...).  I've even had one customer that was snatched over the side by a big fish at pointblank range... He lost that rod and reel (the heaviest on my skiff) and we just joked about it later... Once again no complaint at all since we are fishing in jungle conditions most days... 

Deliberately abusing my gear because you're angry  - Nope, that isn't okay at all...

I consider myself quite lucky since almost all of my anglers are the nicest folks in the world... and won't say one more word about the very few I hope I won't see again...

Tight lines Bob LeMay (954) 435-5666

#18 FishnPhil

FishnPhil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 10:02 AM

I knew a guy who cut the 'hook' off his flies and fished for the take.
Not my idea of fun, I enjoy playing a fish on well balanced tackle and winning and then having a glimpse of the fish.
I am not a fan of gearing up with rods and line that's far too heavy for the target, something that seems to be quite prevalent in fly fishing.

People sometimes use gear heavier to limit the stress on the fish, land it quickly, and get it back swimming as fast as possible. It's better for the fish, while it might not result in a long, drawn out, drag peeling fight, it does result in a faster, more ethical (in my opinion), release...unless you fish for big enough fish, they pull hard no matter how heavy you gear up!  

I would say if someone is catching large trout (>20", 2lbs+) regularly, and using 7x tippet and 3wt rods, they are likely fighting fish to exhaustion and killing them, even if the fish swims off. Not saying you personally are doing that, but it is a problem in some places.  

On the flip side, if what you mean is seeing people use 20lb tippet for 12" trout...then I totally agree, that's a bit overkill!!! biggrin.png biggrin.png

Seems like there should be some Bruce Lee quote about balance inserted here smile.png

#19 WJG

WJG

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 01:10 PM

I fish 2 & 3 wt rods often and regularly land 20" brook trout with 3 or 4 lb tippet quicker than most I watch using heavier rods while babying their tippet.  My C&R fishing isn't killing fish because the rod is lightweight.  I use that rod to it's max and hope to tell the story about the brute that blew up my rod.   Hasn't happened yet. 

#20 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,858 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 02:26 PM

It is a perfect fishing day ...

Joe

Well, after the last two days of fishing, I need to change the question/statement a bit.

First day, I hit the water.  Perfect day, little to no wind, almost no other boat traffic on the water.  However, I caught one, tiny bluegill early, then not even a bite the rest of the morning.  When I decided to head to the ramp, it was only because it'd been a while since spending long times in the Sun.  It was just time to go in.  I felt good with the day, good to be out.

Second day.  Took a few hours to find some fish.  Then I caught a few truly nice 'Gills.  But the wind was kicking up, there were boats ripping past ... and it was turning into a LESS than perfect day.  THAT'S when my ire started to rise.  When a guy and his dog landed on the shore opposite where I was at the time, and he turned on some sucky Cryin' and Whinin' music ... I ... got upset.  Got close enough to tell the inconsiderate bastard what I thought of him and headed for the ramp.  The wind and other people ruined my whole day.

Summary:  Good fishing conditions, I don't care one bit whether I catch anything or not, I enjoy the time on the water.  Bad fishing conditions, I don't care whether I'm catching fish or not, I quickly stop enjoying the time out there.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#21 Dominecker

Dominecker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 07:26 AM

It's just part of the experience. Nothing to fret over. There's another fish in the next hole.

#22 chugbug27

chugbug27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 09:54 AM

Just part of the experience, +1, Joe.
But if the trout is big enough it can haunt me... forever.
cb27

"Fly tying is replete with unproven theories and contradictions and therein lies much of it's charm and fascination." George F. Grant, The Master Fly Weaver

#23 DFoster

DFoster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 01:12 PM

Just part of the experience, +1, Joe.
But if the trout is big enough it can haunt me... forever.

Same here Chug, there are a few that still ruin a sound sleep.

"I fish because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed, or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility, and endless patience".   Robert Traver 1964