Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
leftyangler

Can't find aquatic entomologists locally. What should I do?

I want to identify mayfly in my area. Having problems to ID and that affects my confidence during the already technical fall baetis hatch at local spring creeks. I'm sure attached are within "Baetidae". But as you can see, these are not typical "dark olive", which we usually fish for at this time of year. What we typically call BWO around here are, regardless of technical latin or classification, dark-olive and sizes 20 & 22. But these are gray, light gray, or even light olive body. One even has somewhat reddish/pinkish abdomen! And majority of these are size 24.

Another problem is that I can't find aquatic entomologists around here (quite a shame as our area is one of top fly-fishing destinations in Montana, if not entire US.....). What should I do?

I know Troutnut and Westfly websites. Is there anybody I can send my pics and viral samples?

post-46223-0-66767800-1383194195_thumb.jpg

post-46223-0-83573300-1383194241_thumb.jpg

Well you do have the genus correct. Like many other insects, there can and will be considerable color variation (even within the same species.) Since the season is growing short, I wouldn't worry too much about further classification down to species level. There are about 17 different Baetis species in the western states.

For the time being, just tie imitations with the light gray or gray with just a hint of olive bodies. The parachute Adams pattern has long been used in sizes 20,22, and 24 during these fall baetis hatches.

The Aquatic Entomology website may give you some information.

Join the Washington fly fishing forum. There are people on that site from all over the world. There is an entomology section where you can post pics of bugs and the resident entomologist, "taxon" is pretty good at identifying them. Trust me, join it

I agree with Utyer, persist with something tiny. Here when the caenis hatch was mad I found a bobs bits worked well as did this pattern, hackle as heavy/light as needed to sit in the wave.

post-42518-0-06257000-1384786109_thumb.jpg

What we typically call BWO around here are, regardless of technical latin or classification, dark-olive and sizes 20 & 22. But these are gray, light gray, or even light olive body. One even has somewhat reddish/pinkish abdomen!

which is EXACTLY why the only useful name for any of these insects is the correct Genus and species names. Utyer is correct, there will always be variations within any given species.

Baetidae refers to family classification. Agree with other posters, if you really want to be precise at the bug level, only the scientific genus and specific name could be used; common names often are loosely equivalent to family, but even then more or less. For the fisherman the generic distinction isn't that important (IMHO); probably why the Adams works so well when used in the correct size.

For me, I'm engaged in studying stream and river ecology and entomology now, just to improve my knowledge which improves my enjoyment and appreciation of fly tying and fishing.