Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Quick Trips

Fishing Report Ponds Community Lakes

• Please log in to reply
920 replies to this topic

#901 fshng84

fshng84

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 09:55 PM

Fished Denison Dam early AM Sunday.  Was non-Stop action. Lost count of how many were caught and released. Estimated over fifty striped bass after we quit counting!

Caught them between 6AM to 10AM till alarm sounded warning us power plant would be generating soon.

Do join us this round for Denison Dam Fishing - Five Tips for Fly Fishing and learn to fish by our trials and errors!

#902 fshng84

fshng84

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 07:01 PM

Out and about this weekend; not sure if we are able to wet a line but may be of interest to some. Impromptu live session to answer a Viewer's question on a starter kit for fly tying. Unedited video with key items noted below.  Also, includes details of recent trip fishing Denison Dam for Stripers!

#903 fshng84

fshng84

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 08:11 PM

Quick video to announce the winner of the Fishing Fly Give Away where we random select from Viewers who commented on our Denison Dam Fishing - Five Fly Fishing Tips video posted last week!

#904 fshng84

fshng84

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 02:50 PM

Had some time to burn, so off for a quick get away "mini-vacation" to Broken Bow, Oklahoma for some wine tasting, fishing... and overall chillin and grillin! Stayed at a really nice cabin in the Hochatown area, able to try a few wines and pick up a bottle or two at three wineries, grilled some tasty sausage and steaks, and even wet a line and caught a Bluegill. No trout this round but no worries... learned a few things this round. Of note, the Cold Hole Bridge is repaired and there is a parking lot now! Broken Bow Get Away #brokenbow #beaversbend

#905 fshng84

fshng84

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 08:31 PM

May be of interest to some...

#906 fshng84

fshng84

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 24 August 2019 - 08:56 PM

Tied Guadalupana Fishing Flies for the upcoming Fishing Fly Give Away. Giving two away and tied an extra one to "test" at the local pond.

Caught one Sunfish, then lost it... user error, should have made sure the knot was secure.

Fished a Foam Damsel Fly and caught more little Bluegill, then broke off on a fish... line was frayed.

While looking for another fishing fly in the fly box, found another Guadalupana. Tied it on in short order and caught more Bluegill and a little Bass.

#907 fshng84

fshng84

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 08:01 PM

Guadalupana Give Away is done; did get a chance to fish the local lake kayak fishing! Had to adjust to the pattern but did manage to catch a few. Check out the technique we used to catch fish tending to the bottom... plus do checkout the bonus! May be of interest to some!

#908 fshng84

fshng84

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 07:19 PM

Lucked out catching a few fish with the PMC Emerger! While out on the local pond, decided to demo the Redington Pursuit 4wt - an 8 foot rod we picked up several years ago.

Noticed on the Texas Fishing Forum a question about casting 50 feet or so with a 5wt 8 foot fly rod.  Did not have an 8 foot in a 5 weight. But, did have this one in a 4 weight.

Able to get 50 feet plus with a double haul cast,... even caught a fish while doing the demo!

Fun stuff!

#909 fshng84

fshng84

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 08:57 PM

Made it to Kroger Park on the commute home. Always good to have a fishing rod handy in the little pickup for times when traffic is slow and yours truly prefers to fish rather than drive in stop and go traffic. This round used the Foam Grasshopper with the TFO 6wt Flyrod coupled with the Echo Ion 6/7wt flyreel. Reel has the OPST Commando Head and the coated monofilament running line. Made for ease of casting and distance when needed. Pond was clobbered with lots of green stuff but did catch a few bluegill and bass. Fun stuff!

#910 fshng84

fshng84

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 08:35 AM

Fished Stoney Hollow Pond and managed two fish only. Was a tough go. Next day fished two ponds - Sonic Pond and Bethany Creek Pond. Struck out at Sonic Pond. Did catch several fish at Bethany Creek Pond!

#911 fshng84

fshng84

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 01:35 PM

TBT time Friday evening fishing an old favorite of ours... the Betts Bream Getter. It's the fishing fly we derived the Foam Spider pattern we tie. This one we picked up at Cabelas but unfourtunately lost it to a snag. Will have to either buy another or tie one using the kit we bought last year from Waspi! No worries though had a great time fishing it for Bass and Bluegill. Posted key tips when fishing the Betts Bream Getter on our blog and YouTube Channel!

#912 Poopdeck

Poopdeck

You damn kids, get off my lawn!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 08:34 PM

Got out today for a quick trip on my home waters of the Delaware river. I've been fishing the river almost exclusively for the last 25 years and sadly i have been seeing a discouraging trend, Fishing was tough, again. Managed 5 smallmouth, a small striper, and a walleye in about four hours fishing. Sorry no pictures. I stopped taking pictures of fish 20 years ago. They haven't changed much.

The river has been off for a couple years now. I use to consider 35 smallmouth in the morning to be the start of a good day. For the last two years just getting into double digits has been rough and this year next to impossible. The shad and striper runs in the spring have been impressive the last few years but the SMB fishing is waya way off.

#913 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,729 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 09:39 PM

Snake Head invasion?  Or pollution?  What do you think is the cause of the population changes?

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#914 Poopdeck

Poopdeck

You damn kids, get off my lawn!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 11:44 PM

Tough to say. Not pollution though. The river has never been so clean which is why the striper and shads runs have rebounded nicely. The snakeheads are not really up where I fish. I fish generally where the tide stops and north. Snakeheads are grabbing a foothold in the river in the Philadelphia area which is a guesstimate about 10 miles from the tide line. I've never seen, caught or heard of a snakehead caught where I fish. There has been a flathead explosion and some believe they are responsible. I'm not so sure about this but they aren't helping.

I'm guessing high sustained water during early spring. Around 2005 we had 3 or 4 years of devastating flooding that wiped out entire year classes but it rebounded and fishing was very good but the numbers were mostly 12" and smaller fish. Coupled with the sustained higher then normal water levels but not flooding in the spring were years of extreme low water which is why I switched to a jet. There were lots of weeds when the water was low. About 3 years ago I started catching less dinks but more in the 15" plus class. Last year and this year the dinks seem to be rarer as are the 15" plus fish. We've had high water in the spring but not extreme and water levels have been fantastic all year leaving the weed growth to a minimum. I really have no clue what's causing it which makes it more frustrating.

I'm hoping it returns to somewhat normal next year. I can't take another year like the last two. If this keeps up I might do something dreadful like start trout fishing more.

#915 fshng84

fshng84

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 08:37 AM

Tough to say. Not pollution though. The river has never been so clean which is why the striper and shads runs have rebounded nicely. The snakeheads are not really up where I fish. I fish generally where the tide stops and north. Snakeheads are grabbing a foothold in the river in the Philadelphia area which is a guesstimate about 10 miles from the tide line. I've never seen, caught or heard of a snakehead caught where I fish. There has been a flathead explosion and some believe they are responsible. I'm not so sure about this but they aren't helping.

I'm guessing high sustained water during early spring. Around 2005 we had 3 or 4 years of devastating flooding that wiped out entire year classes but it rebounded and fishing was very good but the numbers were mostly 12" and smaller fish. Coupled with the sustained higher then normal water levels but not flooding in the spring were years of extreme low water which is why I switched to a jet. There were lots of weeds when the water was low. About 3 years ago I started catching less dinks but more in the 15" plus class. Last year and this year the dinks seem to be rarer as are the 15" plus fish. We've had high water in the spring but not extreme and water levels have been fantastic all year leaving the weed growth to a minimum. I really have no clue what's causing it which makes it more frustrating.

I'm hoping it returns to somewhat normal next year. I can't take another year like the last two. If this keeps up I might do something dreadful like start trout fishing more.

"If this keeps up I might do something dreadful like start trout fishing more." LOL!