Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Made some old cane poles

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Willie Rip

Willie Rip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 09:18 PM

I made some old cane pole to try out this week.

https://youtu.be/nSTZHvLowzg

#2 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 03:19 AM

When I was a child, Dad and his friend hung poles in the barn loft for a couple years to dry before using them. I used to make a tiptop guide from a hay wire, so that I could use more or less line and wrap the extra around the butt end, with a hitch to keep it there.

Nice to see old ways carried on.

#3 dadofmolly

dadofmolly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 11:18 AM

Watching the video brought back memories of many years gone by.  Can remember going to the ole Woolworth store in western Kansas to select my poles.  I probably spent more time making sure I got just the right pole then I now spend when buying a new rod.  Couldn't use any ole string either, had to be the right stuff as did the bobber.  Caught many many bullheads, small catfish and an occasional snapping turtle.

Sometimes I need expert advice which is why I talk to myself.

#4 rstaight

rstaight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 07:50 AM

Caught many a fish on a cane pole. Still have one but it's been years since it has been used. Just may have to dig it out.

Thanks for bringing up some good memories.

"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.  Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary." - Patrick F. McManus