Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Au Sable vacation 2018

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 Dave G.

Dave G.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,908 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 04:44 AM

Not bad considering. I know for sure if I were to take it to a marina it would be a minimum of $1200-$1500 most likely.

There isn't a whole lot in these things, one speed sliding dog manual transmission with reverse basically.

John 7:38 ESV  is about "Rivers of Living Water"

#17 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

When I grow up, I'm moving to Florida !!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,864 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 09:53 AM

O8S3C3.jpg

There's a heck of a lot more parts than I want to start messing with in my 115hp Mariner that's for sure. Much easier to buy a whole complete used unit and swap it out than to start pulling out all those shims, carriers, shafts and gears just to try to save a couple hundred bucks. Plus since I only use it on vacation in July it's a much better piece of mind to swap the whole unit as a complete piece than to take mine apart and replace individual gears and then have to wait till vacation next year to wonder if I got it all put back together correctly.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#18 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,738 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 10:17 AM

Definitely check around.  Find a shop that will rebuild it, or give you a core credit on a rebuilt one.  You might get a better deal than buying one from online sources.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#19 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,864 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 10:24 AM

I really don't think I am going to mess with taking it somewhere Mike. I know most the Marina's in this area (most are in St Clair Shores) and having had buddies that have taken boats to them for work in the past, I know the majority of the ones here you can't even walk out with a tune up for less than $500 blink.png So there's no way they would touch this job for anything even remotely affordable. It's going to be much easier to buy a whole tested used unit offline for $500-$700 and not deal with a local marina that is gonna charge me three times that plus have to trailer it around the city to get it there etc etc. There's a number of places online that sell the whole unit tested and guaranteed and have free shipping. I think that is going to be a much more affordable and hassle free way to go.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#20 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,864 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 11:10 AM

rBrW8M.jpg
 mfgfWY.jpg
 gn49t6.jpg
 oWlwjm.jpg
 eaa3nb.jpg
 PcxTw1.jpg
 7z8F9I.jpg
 3jMBo5.jpg

Been so busy since getting back I just now had a chance to load a few more pics. Lots more still to come.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

#21 Dave G.

Dave G.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,908 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 11:19 AM

Oh it's probably what I'd do too, it's just incredible what they get considering there isn't much to these things really. I mean it's no Allison heavy truck 10 speed if you get my drift. Or even a Turbo 400 for that matter.

#22 Dave G.

Dave G.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,908 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 11:21 AM

oWlwjm.jpg

7z8F9I.jpg
 3jMBo5.jpg

Been so busy since getting back I just now had a chance to load a few more pics. Lots more still to come.

Looks like you had some popper action, that's my favorite way for smallies !

#23 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,864 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 04:00 PM

Yeah foam hoppers always do really well up there on the smallmouth. By far my favorite way to catch them. Not a sipping rise like a trout but rather a full on completely out of the water explosion :)

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

#24 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,864 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 06:01 PM

yhVCmT.jpg
 fLgmBg.jpg
 XfS9y6.jpg
 QxgaFl.jpg
 b49CRM.jpg
 5w18L4.jpg
 W2ZsRN.jpg
 jbXGb4.jpg

More to come.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

#25 Dave G.

Dave G.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,908 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 06:09 PM

Awesome !!. 

I've revisited foam poppers this year, after my Bomber Bug expedition earlier on. I saw a youtube video on making a rolled up popper body and those things cast awesome and float high and dry, loving it. 

#26 mikechell

mikechell

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,738 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 09:06 PM

First ... Excellent fish.  Thank you for the pictures.  I sure hope that, some day, I can fish those waters.

Second ... I'm not suggesting you take the boat to a marina.  Take the gear case off the engine and just take that in for a rebuild.  Again, if you can find a good place, they can rebuild it and guarantee it just like the online places for a similar price. 

If you stick with the online places, see if any of them will give you a core refund and shipping return info for the old gear case.

Barbed hooks rule!

#27 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,864 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 11:39 PM

I'll think about it Mike, but I dunno if I want to even bother with the local marinas. Problem is being a car gearhead myself for so many years I know how "most" places like auto repair garages work and if I've learned anything it is that anytime you are dealing with boats the cost is even more than cars. So the thing I know that will happen is this. They won't be able to give me a price est without tearing it open to see exactly what is shot, so I have to pay them to open it up and see. Then if the price they give me is too high for rebuilding (which I know it will be) then I still have to pay them for their labor to open it up and see what's going on in there. And some of these places will up that cost once they find out you are not having them do anymore work to it. I'll think about it though I have all winter to see what I am gonna do.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

#28 mikechell

mikechell

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,738 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 07:10 AM

I truly understand ... and I don't disagree.

Barbed hooks rule!

#29 Poopdeck

Poopdeck

You damn kids, get off my lawn!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 08:29 AM

Every time I have motor problems I think the worst only to discover it was no big deal. My last problem was just a bad primer bulb but I was initially thinking I spun the pump bearings. I also do everything I can to stay away from the repair shop. Labor rates are about $135.00 an hour around here. I have a service manual for my motor that takes you step by step with pictures through every repair possible. I don't think they make service manuels like these anymore. Having a 1991 motor helps as well. Modern outboards are on a whole new level.

Crack it open and take a look it might not be that bad. Unless you smashed into something I'm betting it's just a seal and a set of bearings.

#30 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,864 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 10:50 AM

I wish it were just a bearing or seals Greg, but it's for sure worse than that :(  Unit ran dry and locked up, and there's tons of metal shavings on the magnetic plug. It's for sure some gears worn and locked together so it's some major damage for sure.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com