Fly Tying
clind98

House pet dubbing?

So I have a rabbit and a chocolate lab, can I use their fur as dubbing? Also how can I change the colours as my lab has a rather light coat?

Thanks

Oh one more thing do I use the guard hair or the fur?

When you brush your dog, save the fur from around the neck, it will make the best dubbing. The rabbit will have pretty soft fur, and could be blended with the dogs stiffer hair. I have collected fur, and hair from a lot of different dogs. Mainly to tie patterns from them as gifts for the owners.

I use hair from both my cat and dog all the time. My beagle gives me white hair and black hair and brown hair. I can mix them or use them seperately. But mostly I mix them with other dubbings, like SLF or Master Bright for a little flash and texture. I like to use both the under fur and guard hair. The underfur makes it possible to dub and the guard hair makes it nice and spikey. We had a pet hair swap here not too long ago and there were alot of folks who tie with their pet hair.

I would use the rabbit fur more than the dog, simply because it dubs better. Dog fur is likely to be better for winging small wet flies and streamers. Comb the animals because it might be noticed if you cut bits off.

Dog fur changes a lot between breeds. I have fur from several of the hounds, fox - deer - wolf, and they all have a great mix of short under hair and long guard hairs and I like them for dubbing on larger hooks, 12 and over.

Husky dog hair is really cool and a little like seal fur.

Spaniel, collie and similar are much better used in wings as they provide good length guard hairs.

And if you decide to use shed snake skin for a husk DON"T! I managed to get it close on the fly but there are many much better alternatives.

And that sums up how nuts we all are with things we look at and think... um? how can I lash that to a hook and make it attractive?

I have a very close alternative to polar bear, in that the Great Pyrenees that rules the house donates more than I will ever use. Her hair is white with what looks like clear hair mixed in.

Blane

you would need to remove the course guard hairs from the lab but the under fur would be great dubbing. If the lab sheds the longer guard fur in clumps, you can use that for winging or tailing flies. My Husky sheds both at the same time so I get a nice streamer wing from him! The rabbit fur can be used both ways: with or without the guard hairs. If you do use the guard hair make sure to trim the longer hair (in the same pile) and then mix it all together in a coffee mill. This way it will blend it together nicely and give you a courser dubbing such as you would get from Hareline.

If you are looking for a fine dubbing, pet hair probably wouldn't be my first choice. Picking out all the guard hair would be too laborious for me. I personally like the spikey nature of most pet hairs and that is what I turn to when tying buggy looking flies. One thing I have done when I don't want it to be too spikey is trim the body after dubbing.

After brushing our Australian Shepherd, I discovered her underfur was the perfect color and blend for a few of my favorite dry flies.

I have a Brittany and a German Shorthair Pointer and I plan on using both of their fur as I progress in my fly tying adventures. I highly suggest using a brush called the Furminator - it gets the undercoat out as well and makes it easier to separate that fur from the longer, outer hairs. I am hoping my GSP will be a great source of dubbing with her underfur...