Fly Tying
Digitalis

Help with Vise Selection.

New member here, want to get into fly tying big time, but wanted to make sure I invested into a good quality vise that I won't have to upgrade later. I narrowed it down to the Peak Rotary, the Wolff Atlas and the Renzetti Traveller.

They all seem similar, though some have plastic pieces. Do you have any experience with them or any other you would like to recommend? I'm leaning towards the Atlas just because it seems like a true rotary where you can adjust the center of rotation depending on the size hook you choose.

(Most of the flies will be used on my 9ft6wt clearwater, mainly for trout/bass/pan fish, no saltwater) So far I love streamers.

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

New member here, want to get into fly tying big time, but wanted to make sure I invested into a good quality vise that I won't have to upgrade later. I narrowed it down to the Peak Rotary, the Wolff Atlas and the Renzetti Traveller.

They all seem similar, though some have plastic pieces. Do you have any experience with them or any other you would like to recommend? I'm leaning towards the Atlas just because it seems like a true rotary where you can adjust the center of rotation depending on the size hook you choose.

(Most of the flies will be used on my 9ft6wt clearwater, mainly for trout/bass/pan fish, no saltwater) So far I love streamers.

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

all 3 vises are "true rotary" not just the atlas

if you can try all 3 BEFORE you buy

i'm a renzetti traveler user since the first days it came out

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I understand they are all rotary, however only the Atlas seems to have the ability to adjust the jaws height so the hook shank is inline with the center of rotation.

From my research the other two did not seem to be able to do that, therefore, while some hook sizes will work well, others will be off center unless I'm missing something...

On this video, the reviewer shows this issue against a ruler (min 8:20)

If what you are saying is that can be adjusted on the other two vises, then that would be great!

Thanks

All three can be adjusted, some more simply than the other. However, I'm partial to the Atlas drag for the particular rotary drag feature it offers. It and the traveler are my top picks in true rotary vises in the price range they are in. But this thread can get very long and not resolve a thing LOL ! You really need to try them out, the Peak to me ( for instance) had all the features I wanted, was ready to buy one and then I tried one in a shop and didn't like it at all, it simply was not the one. That really dashed my hopes on that , so I tried a second one in another shop,same result. The other two I place about equal, the traveler is a bit more petite and of those I like the black version.

True rotary isn't all that big a deal, if you run a straight jaw rotary level with the table top and set the hook in correctly, the shank will run true and you can spin it up faster too because you don't have that off set elbow sending it out of balance. Not a biggy to me as it turns out in the end, especially on streamer hooks. But everyone is different. Look at the Norvise videos with the standard jaws used and you will see what I mean. I do almost all the steps Norm uses for streamer tying, including dubbing ropes and peacock herl ropes on my $39 Indian vise, nobody said you have spin it up like he does .

i never set the hook in my renzetti traveler using a ruler to achieve the perfect in line condition between the vise axis and hook shank

my traveler jaws have 3 different holes for adjustment. i just keep it in the center hole location. if the hook wobbles a few thousandths of an inch off axis oh well i just keep tying smile.png

renzetti_cam_series_travelerjaw-228x228.

That's great then, thanks. So is there a consensus of which model is best overall then?

LOL That's like asking if there's a consensus of which fast food restaurant is the best.

The atlas, just remember it will be a little stiff at first but after a couple weeks it smooths out nice.

I have the Atlas and even if bit stiff, its excellent for the price. I don't regret it. If I had big bucks, I'd buy the high end Stonfo. But value wise, I'm very happy with the Atlas. Also, it can handle big hooks as well as tiny ones, which not all vises can do without changing out jaws... its a functional no frills vise!

As mentioned its a bit of personal preference. Of those you mention I've used the Renzetti traveller a lot. Have also tied on the Griffin Montana mongoose and a LAW bench vise. I use the LAW most now but before that I used the renzetti as my primary vise and was really happy with it. I prefer the LAW now but actually the renzetti is a really good vise and I'd be quite happy using that.

Won't hurt to look at the Marc Petitjean Swiss Master vise!

LMAO only because you have one !!

send a pic of it with something in the pic for size ref

Won't hurt to look at the Marc Petitjean Swiss Master vise!

LMAO only because you have one !!

send a pic of it with something in the pic for size ref

Oh yeah what you doin with yer TMC 2 vise