Fly Tying
breambuster

Skill Builder Trout Series II

OK, Guys, here it is. The beginning post of the 2nd round thread. What we have here is a swap involving soft hackle flies. They will be photographed and evaluated, hopefully, by Henrik and others.

Here are a few ground rules. You will tie 12 flies for the swap. There will be 13 of us in the swap, so you will not get back one of your own flies. If you want to include an extra or 2 for the Swapmeister, either of this pattern or another of any kind, they are most appreciated, but absolutely NOT required.

When you have your set ready for the mail, you can either post here or send me a PM asking for the address and I will be glad to PM you my mailing address. I prefer not to put my address on the internet. It is recommended that you put your flies in a crush-proof box such as an Altoids box or a small fly box. You will get your same box back. Also, please send a Self-Addressed STAMPED Envelope for me to use in mailing your set back to you. BE ABSOLUTELY SURE that a lazy postal worker doesn't cheat you out of your hard-earned money by putting one of the labels that they can print out right at the desk and stick on your mail. That label, called a metered mailing label, has a date on it that says that it is good only for that date. The next day, your metered mailing label is no longer valid and your money is wasted. I will be left to pay the postage to get your flies back to you. Remember that if it isn't POSTAGE STAMPS, you don't want it. Of course, the metered mailing label is perfectly acceptable on the envelope that you use to mail your flies to me, as long as you put it into the mail the same day you buy the label.

The due date for this 2nd round will be the last day of February, which I just discovered will be February 29. This is Leap Year!

Life happens and if you see that you aren't going to be able to complete the swap, that's OK. Emergencies arise and family ALWAYS comes before a fly swap. Take care of your family first, always. If you have to withdraw, let me know as soon as possible because there may be a chance that I can get someone on the waiting list to finish the swap in your place. I would rather do that, if possible, that to have a vacancy in the swap.

OK. Here's the roster for round 2. If your name is listed below, let me know, if you can, the name of your pattern or the type of insect it is designed to represent, such as "October Caddis" or "Hendrickson," etc.

Breambuster - Swapmeister

1. DavidR - Received

2. Wetsock - Received

3. Fishingbobnelson - Received

4. PJ2 - Received

5. Riffleriversteelheadslayer - Received

6. Vicrider - Received

7. Kennebec12 - Received9

8. Pica - Received

9. EastTNoutdoorsman

10. Armyflyguy247 - Tenkara

11. Chris_NH - Received

12. Josephcsylvia - Received

Guys, if you are on the waiting list, but didn't make the roster, I'm sorry, but we are limited to 13 swappers total, including me, the Swapmeister. If there is a vacancy, I will be glad to add you to the roster in the order in which he asked for a spot. If no vacancy occurs, there may be a chance to get in on Round 3. I will keep your names on the waiting list, and you will have the first chances for any vacancies that occur in Round 3. Again, you will be added to the roster in accordance with the order in which you requested a spot.

BB,

I am going outside the box a little and going to try the iconic Tenkara fly....Sakasa Kebari.

(It's a reverse soft Hackle.)

Joseph, had a good question...size/hook constraint?

~Armyflyguy

Hi Armyflyguy. As I told Josephcsylvia in a PM reply, there are no hook size constraints except one needs to remember that this IS a trout series of flies. I usually think of trout flies as being #12 and smaller. The hooks sizes recommended to me for soft hackles for all the major hatches on our river are #12 - #18. You might want to use that as a guideline.

Take care

BB

Mine are done and going in the mail tomorrow I tied a pink peacock partridge we use them here as a Hendrickson imitation but I like it as a searching pattern for brook trout in my favorite little creeks. I tied this on a #12 but have caught brookies as small as 3 inches on that size something about the color pink just turns them on

Thanks Riff. I will let you know when they arrive. What bird specifically are you calling "partridge?" Hungarian Partridge, Ruffed Grouse, Bob White Quail, other? We here in the south refer to almost any upland game bird as "po'ta'ges."

BB

These are ruffed grouse got a couple hunting this year so I skinned them out and borax them pinned them to a piece of cardboard for 2 weeks repeated then froze them these feathers off these birds are so full some of the best I have tied with in a long time. I know a lot of people tie soft hackles with sparse hackling but on this fly I tied it full last spring one of my friends that I tie for asked me to tie this fly full for him he compared it over the spring and summer to the exact fly same swing and everything just less hackle and said the full hackle worked better. So for this swap I tied them full. I have noticed on this fly with the full hackle if you are fishing in some moderate to fast moving water the hackle pulses and sometimes triggers a strike.

They went by way of snowmobile to the post office today I pmed you the tracking number

the only thing I miss about snow is when I lived in Mass I could open my window and put my beer in the snow on the fire escape!

Funny about full versus sparse on soft hackle. Tradition is less hackle. Years ago I ordered some before a trip and they were much fuller than I normally tie. Didn't do a comparison because I never used up all of my own softies to need to go to the store bought ones.

I tied a series of red silk body, light white wire rib, smaller herl collar, and Starling hackle. I was going to send these but a cyber friend sent me some woodcock and grouse and I'm going to work with the woodcock after I finish the Hog Snares and monthly swap. I may use the first softies for monthly and go with woodcock for this swap if I can find enough consistent sized feathers to fit the ideals of this swap in being clones of 1 through 12, or as good as budding skill builders can get them. Have my articulated nymph swap flies done and you will NEVER get Kracken dubbing wrapped and trimmed to be consistent in a swap like this.