Fly Tying

We camped at Horn Rapids and fished sloughs and back channels/sloughs from Vantage to Goldendale. Carp are just getting to the spawn in the warmer spots and were very hard to pick up between sex on the brain, wind and murky water. Fishing around wind turbine farms...can you guess what the issue might be?. But damn it was fun to get out on the east side. The new-to-me Murdich Minnow was a lot of fun to fish, very visual fishing with so much unweighted flash.

Largest of trip

yaksmallies82w.jpg

Playing with me u/w case

yaksmallies72w.jpg

yaksmallies80w.jpg

yaksmallies16w.jpg

Rainbow clouds

yaksmallies10w.jpg

My first tries at murdich minnows

murdichies.jpg

Guest rich mc

there several versions of the murdich minnow on flyfishohio.com. one is the ghost minnow by jonn graham rich mc

Paul, congrat's on your success! Great post! Really like the flies!

I've become a fan of Murdich Minnows too! I tied a variation for a Striper fly swap awhile back.

Thanks for the update! :)

The fly in the 1st and 3rd shot fished the best and it was my first attempt and was deemed way too sparse and of poor proportions more like a clouser. Fishing's like that sometimes.

Fishing's like that sometimes.

So true!

At times I've had more success with my "seconds" than with flies I thought looked great! :lol:

Sometimes more is less. I generally tie flies sparser for Smallmouths than I do for either LM's of Stripers. I feel that water clarity is the main thing, the clearer the water, the sparser the flies. Where I fish for Smallmouths the water is usually much clearer than in the places I fish for the other two. Although, nothing is set in stone, so variety is good to have on hand. :)

Beautiful Smallmouth! Looks like you're having fun with your underwater camera/housing. Those "rainbo clouds" must have been a sight to behold and you captured them well - breathtaking picture.

Make me feel jealous with my urban concrete canal fishing hole.

Kirk

*sigh* still 1 month till Bass even opens here! Smallies look in great condition, nice report and flies :)

there several versions of the murdich minnow on flyfishohio.com. one is the ghost minnow by jonn graham rich mc

Yep, I have seen a lot of variations, yours look awesome! I do mine with an ice chenille head, works well, also.