Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
joejonsme

Casting Practice aka Pretend Fly Fishing

Hello,

How much time do most CFF's spend practicing their casting? Over the past year, I have been pretty consistent at getting in an hour a week at the local ball field. Prior to putting in this commitment of time, I had always assumed that expert casters were just genetically superior. Now, I find that those seemingly impossible casts that the experts make at the fly fishing shows are actually possible for mere mortals like myself. No more tailing loops. Aeriel mends are just a flick of the wrist. No need to sweat about pinpoint presentations anymore. In short, it seems to me that practice is actually 99% of what it takes to be a very good caster. In talking to other fly fishers, it is clear that I am one of very few folks who even think about practicing my casting, let alone actually doing it. Why is that? When we spend so much money and effort on this casting dominated sport it seems weird that virtually no one actually works on their casting skills. So. Does anyone else practice or am I really a weirdo?
Please help
I didn't find the right solution from the internet.
References:
Thank you

I do all my practicing on the water. Fishing 50 to 100 days a year is enough practice for me.

I practice regularly. I have lots of room so I can keep a rod assembled in the work shop, then I can just step outside and give it a go. When I first started I would practice 15 to 30 mins a day, now maybe once a week or tune up before a trip along with fishing locally a couple of times a week. Regular practice especially when your learning helps develop the muscle memory that's make casting second nature. I find when I practice, I concentrate on the mechanics of casting, when I'm fishing I'm trying to catch fish and worry less about the casting technique.

.Is your local ball field in California or Australia or Lithuania?

Hello,

I went fishing one time in my life and that was on National Fishing Day a couple of years ago at Vasona Lake in Los Gatos, CA. Me and a friend had no clue what we were doing, we just bought some rods and some random ass fake bait and headed out there. With the fake bait and our noob casting skills, we managed to catch nothing. Eventually we just bummed some anchovies of some of the people already there and with their help managed to cast lines and catch a few catfish. All in all, it was pretty fun. This week I feel compelled to try again with my little brother since we have some time off. A few questions. - Is it even fishing season? -Where and how does one obtain a fishing license? -What are some good spots for off-shore fishing within 1-1.5 hour drive of Sunnyvale, CA where the fish are safe to eat. Some of the fishing locales in the South Bay I've heard encourage catch and release due to high mercury content. - At these locations, what are the types of fish and what kind of bait do we use? Any info would be greatly appreciated

HI,

I'm staying in Antakalnis and I would like to spend some good time along Neris with my flies
Is Neris any god for fly fishing? I don't have a car, so I can't go to Ula. I can only fish within Vilnius area. Any suggestions where to go with my flies?And most importantly, where can I get fishing license? what do I need to apply for it?

Okay ... I am not sure what's going on here.

joejonsme is reposting threads from other sites ... from years ago.

I followed some of the links at the bottom of each of the threads ... and they link to those other sites and forums.

The link for videos is a web design/video production site.

This might be a spammer, using "pre-written" posts to gain access to ... something.

I'm contacting Steve about this ... stand by.

Still an interesting topic. I practiced in my yard for about ten minutes when I picked up a fly rod. I thought it was incredibly dumb of me since there was zero chance of catching a fish in my yard. Since then I just go down to the local creek and practice on the water. At the local creek I don't really care if I catch fish or not since it's mostly sunnies and rock bass which are damn near impossible not to catch anyway. So for me it's on the water for practice and catching.

I false casted for 5 minutes in a large yard once. To test a rod I was purchasing haha.

Those guys that drop a size 30 fly on a dime...they have practiced, a lot...on the river in all conditions. It does not take a $1000 rod, $500 reel, $300 waders, etc. It does not take a perfect stroke, loops, or anything else.

Get on the rivers and lakes casting in all conditions. Don't alter your stroke, let it be natural. Sure, take tips, advice, and pointers, learn to double haul, etc...then apply what works or doesn't, to your casting style.

I'm positive my cast is sidearm ugly. But it works and I can put flies anywhere I choose because I've done it for years in almost every condition possible. That's the practice you need, not in the yard or field.

That's my 10 cents:)