Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
chrisfish

deerhair tip

I had posted this in a swap i'm hosting and thought i would share it with you'all.

It involves deerhair bugs that leave the rearmost tips of deerhair intact to serve as a skirt. (the tips in the first clump you tie in)

I was finding it hard to keep from cutting these skirt hair while trimming the body. heres what i came up with.

starting with the first clump.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Align tips, measure out and tie in.

Now I cut/trim the forward half down. This will leave a gap between the skirt and the reat of the body.

IPB Image

I also trim the tips off the next clump of hair befor tying them in. this makes it easier the visualize any stray hairs that do not belong in the skirt. They will be blunt trimmed ends.

IPB Image

Now you can tie, and compact / tie, and compact....ect... ect....

IPB Image

And you'll be left with a nice trimmed gap around the skirt.

IPB Image

I also found it much easier the whip finish the head if i trimm the first few hairs first.

IPB Image

another look at the gap you've created around the shirt.

IPB Image

And the finished fly with a full, intact skirt.

IPB Image

i hope you guys find this tip helpfull,

chris

Very nice....that's always a pain. I've even put painters' masking tape around the skirt on the initial clump to make it easier/faster to trim. I like your way better, though.

If I may suggest an alternative tip -

When spinning the last bunch of hair, tie it in backwards (tips toward the hook eye), and leave them plenty long. After they are spun, you have plenty of hair to grab and pull back out of the way to whip finish. Haven't tried your method, but this is what works for me.

I wish I had thought of that. I did some hoppers last week and the head didn't come out right. I bet they will form now on.I have had a hard time with deer hair for years now..java script:emoticon(':yahoo:', 'smid_26')

Sign in to follow this