Fly Tying
breambuster

Guide's Choice Fly Swap With A Twist

THIS SWAP IS FULL!

OK. I'm finally ready to try to post this swap. I am still waiting to get my regular computer back from the big box store that sold it to me. I'm also having a back-up computer built but my friend who is building it ran into a problem. He thinks he bought a defective mother board. But he has loaned me a lap top which I'm trying to get used to. As you can tell, my luck with computers here lately is terrible.

So, the swap will be 13 swappers, The Due Date will be April 25. Each swapper will tie up 12 flies and you won't get back one of your own. If you decide to do extras, and that's entirely up to you, for this swap, I would LOVE to have an extra of the pattern you are tying for the swap. Having 2 of each pattern would be wonderful. All the regular rules apply. SASE, toe tags, yada, yada, yada. International swappers may send their flies and a return envelope without postage. I will pay the return postage and then notify each international swapper the cost of your postage, and my email address, and you can reimburse me through PayPal. The twist, as you probably know by now, is that I pick the patterns and you sign up for the one you want. This first post will be a sign up post. I will also do a second post that will give you an idea about each pattern. If I have found a video of the pattern, I will let you know about that. Beyond that, if you need a materials list, I will be happy to supply one. I expect to have a conversation with most, if not all, swappers about your pattern. I will be happy to do that. If you have ANY questions about the patterns before you chose one or after you have chosen it, I will be more than happy to supply all the info I can. I can even supply a picture of a pattern if you need it. OK. here's the list.

1. Swapmeister - Hare E Rooster - Completed

2. Sulfur Dun CDC Puff - djh262 - Received

3. Mini Max Parachute - Vicente - Received

4. BDE (Best Dry Ever) Hazathor

5. Parachute Hare's Ear - jburge

6. Gray Trude - Idaho RC - Received

7. CDC Sally - Vicrider - Received

8. Firehole Soft Hackle - wmw4 - Received

9. Sulfur Middle Man - Joeh - Received

10. Murray's Mr Rapidan - Jpm5107 - Received

11. Haystack - GP Flyfisherman - Received

12. The Usual - Flat Rock Native - Received

13. Micro Mayfly - Decisions - Received

( * = Not yet taken)

Let me know which pattern you want to tie and let's stay in touch.

THIS SWAP IS FULL!

2, Sulfur Dun CDC Puff - This is like the CDC Sulfur Sparkle Dun. There is a YouTube video from S Holston River. The only difference is that the pattern you are being asked to tie has a yellow turkey biot body rather than dubbing.

3. Mini Max Parachute. There is no video for this one, but it's just a standard Parachute pattern, but you will need the materials list. Ask me and I'll send it to you.

4. BDE - This pattern has a palmered hackle body, a dubbing tail and a trude type wing. It's a Ben Furimsky pattern, and there is a good video on YouTube from "In The Riffle," that suggests some substitutes for some of the materials.

5. Parachute Hare's Ear - This is a dry fly pattern using Hare's Ear Nymph materials. Tim Cammisa and Hammer Creek both have YouTube videos for this one.

6. Gray Trude - There is a good video on how to tie a Trude pattern on YouTube. Look for "How To Tie A Lime Trude Dry Fly." by Capt Mitt Thomas. But then you will need the materials list. All the materials are basic stuff that you probably already have.

7. CDC Sally. This is a pattern that reminds me of a Elk Hair Caddis only it uses CDC rather than Elk Hair. The materials are pretty basic, but the hook size is 18 - 20. So its for the guys who like to tie the tiny ones.

8. Firehole Soft Hackle - This is a basic soft hackle fly. The hook is 12 - 18. The thread is black 6/0, the body is pearl flashabou and the hackle is gray partridge. That's the whole materials list.

9. Sulfur Middle Man - This is a loop wing emerger pattern. The materials list calls for Darlon (whatever that is) for the tail and loop wing. I would probably substitute polypropylene. The rest is pretty basic stuff.

10. Murray's Mr Rapidan - There is a Jim Misiura video on YouTube. Take a look.

11. Haystack. This is a pattern that reminds me of a Comparidun. It's a Fran Betters pattern. There are some YouTube videos. At least, watch the one by TheFlyPatch.

12. The Usual. Another Fran Betters pattern. It relies heavily on a snow shoe hare's foot. That, a hook, pink thread and tan dubbing is all you need. There are videos by Jim Misiura and Davie McPhail on YouTube.

13. Micro Mayfly There are some YouTube videos, but I will have to watch some to find one that looks like the fly in the book. It's tied on a scud hook, #16-20 with a bead head. Some of the YouTube patterns are tied on a standard straight hook. OK. watch the Mercer's Micro Mayfly Nymph Fly Tying Video by Caddis Fly Angling Shop. He substitutes some materials, but I can send you a materials list if you want to tie it like Mike Mercer who invented the fly.

OK, there is a quick run down of the patterns you have to choose from. Take a look at the least, watch some YouTube videos, think good thoughts that I will eventually get a working computer back in my house, and let me know which one you want to tie. PLEASE feel free to ask me anything you need to know to decide on a pattern and tie up some awesome flies. I'm really looking forward to this one. And it will be the last of the "With A Twist" swaps from me, at least for a while.

Take care

BB

Wow, atxdiscgolfer, I forgot to include a very basic, yet vital piece of info. Let's make the due date April 25. I'm putting it that far off to give people a little more time to decide on a pattern. I'll edit the original post.

thanks

BB

I'll do the firehole soft hackle in a 12 or 14 if it's still open. Also, on the body is it just a strand or 2 of the pearl flashabou tied on and then wound forward?

wmw4, you are in! Thanks for signing up. When you're the first one in, you can have any fly you want! The pattern calls for a thread underbody that is narrow at the tail but tapers up to a pretty fat bump right behind where the partridge hackle is tied in. Imagine a dubbed thorax right behind the hackle or peacock herl, but's all thread underbody covered with a single piece of pearl flashabou wrapped around the hook shank to back a solid, tapered body. Wrap it like you would a dubbing noodle. The instructions say to tie in and wrap a piece of flashabou and then coat it with epoxy to make it more durable. Head cement would probably work also. Use gray partridge for the hackle, not the brown.

Thanks for signing up.

BB

Go you down, Vicrider. I laid the trap and you fell right in. Know you quarry! Glad to have you join us.

Take care

BB

bb, I am down for the the Usual. I fish one of the last custom rods Fran was able to build. Regrettably, for all of us his Probate folks had to ship me the rod. Seems a fitting tribute to a true legend of tying and consumate craftsman. May also do a Firehole Soft Hackle variant, or Silver Trude for a bonus set. Too many great choices in this swap

I am doing well here, two days in clinic, but already feel back to normal. Tied other swap flies today, too. April 25 is very doable, as B Ug closes on 15 th.

You know I love those soft hackles but also like the Silver Trude, something of a knockoff of Idaho RC's excellent pick. Will advise on bonus set by end of Month. Thinking you are running another first-rate operation and will fill fly boxes with more great choices... Gotta support that... Carry On!!!

Idaho RC, Flat Rock Native & djh262, you are all in and many thanks for joining. Flat Rock Native, I'm glad that you are doing well and that the due date for this swap fits into your schedule.

Most of these patterns are dry flies, but there are a few wet flies included, so I think it will make a nice box of flies. And to have all been included in the book, they had to have all been proven, productive patterns.

Take care & happy tying!

BB

Thank you, GP Flyfisherman. Glad to have you join us. And thanks for doing the Haystack.

We are half way there, already. Only 6 patterns left. If you're thinking about it, don't take too long to decide.

Take care

BB