Fly Tying
Steeldrifter

Personal rods, trout spey rods done

Some new toys I built for myself and my fishing buddy Mark that I have been building for a while now. These are a pair of 12ft 5/6wt spey rods I built for he & I to use in some of the tighter spots on the Au Sable where there is not much room for backcasts when wading. Loading them up with some 400grain Skagit heads and T-11 mow tips and will be streamer fishing with them on the Au Sable in about a week

mHGKoT.jpg
GogCLM.jpg
KgDNDS.jpg
F5QsxF.jpg
gBuYtA.jpg
7sO4ke.jpg
GWF6wJ.jpg
bpXWDx.jpg

Wow! Gorgeous! I know you're gonna give that one a working Steve!

Nice reel too! ;)

I believe I saw those when they were babies. They look great, all grown up, now!

I truly love the look of that coated cork. About a 60/40 mix ... 60 percent of it being the dark cork ... would be perfect!

Wow!

But what I really want to know is where did you get the batson decals on the rod tubes? I need some of those!

Awesome, Steve ! Is that metallic or metal flake I see in the wrap coating ? If so I would like to know more about that.

The shoemakers' children do have shoes! Damn nice ones at that.

Pls let us know the details -- line wts. casting styles, how used --streamers, nymphing etc.

Rocco

Beautiful Rods...what 1st Class work. Never thought about wanting a spey rig...but after seeing those...I want a spey rig...Have fun with them

Dave they are the ARE blanks so they are somewhat of a root beer brown, no metallic to them really. Dennis, they are 12ft 5/6wt's and we will be skagit style fishing heavy sink tips with streamers in faster water for trout. Mostly casting 10ft (IPS tips with short stout leaders and good size streamers.

sZB5f8.jpg

Grip version 2.0 on my spey rod. After using it last week I just did not feel comfortable with the larger OD grip I did on mine which I thought would be nicer but was not. So stripped it down and took about 3/16 off the grip then refinished just the ends in urethane leaving then center burl cork lighter which I think I like the contrast look better. Feels much much better in my hand now. Going to be leaving early Sunday morning for 3 more days of putting it to use on the Au Sable.