Fly Tying
flyty1

Cleaning old hackle necks

I have several nicely colored old necks that were stored in a musty, damp garage. I am wondering of a safe way to clean these with the hope of pulling off the mildew smell without harming the feathers. Any suggestions from experience?

Hot water plus sink plus soap then rinse and dry, I'd use woolite maybe and dry on box card board skin in....probably not that important what soap/shampoo you use, key is make darn sure it gets completely dry before storage again. Borax would be good to kill mildew if it is present.

Here is an article that has some explanation about half way down. .http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/tyingtips/part111.php

I agree with the washing, rinsing, and drying that tjm suggests. I think the problem that really old necks might have would be brittle stems. I don’t know if the cleaning process would soften them up.

Joe

Old necks, if still clean, are best steamed before use. That will bring them back to full glory (and stems will be rejuvenated as well). -At least that's what I've found over the years. I'm very careful to keep the neck or saddle away from the heat (and with my hands holding it over the steam kettle I know the moment there's too much heat..). I do the same thing with strung saddles or neck hackles since I buy in bulk and they need to be steamed first to be fully usable.

For necks that I want to be as fluffy, with a natural curve as possible, once they're fully steamed I simply clothespin them to the chainlink fence next to my garage and allow them to dry naturally. For necks and saddles that I want to be relatively straight I place them on paper towels skin side down then use another layer of paper towels on top with a board on top of that... Works like a charm.

Some of the necks I'm still using are over thirty years old... and still ready to tie with...