Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Okuma reels

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 picketpin

picketpin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 11:56 PM

Hi guys any one here try the okama rells and how did you like it .looking for a couple of backup reels for when on long fishing trips seems like a not bad price for their large arbour .Tight linesMIKE dunno.gif
Who says money cant buy happiness (see my new fly rod and reel)

#2 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

When I grow up, I'm moving to Florida !!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,885 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 12:23 AM

I own a few different Okuma's they are a very good reel for the price. Currently i have a couple of the Serrias and have never had a problem with them. For the inexpensive price you cant go wrong with them.

SD

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#3 Fishigan

Fishigan

Is that a chick?...Yesss..NOOO!!....Yesss!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 05:55 AM

I have an Okuma Integrity 7/8. Great drag! Handles salmon just fine.

#4 skeet3t

skeet3t

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 07:03 AM

I bought a graphite frame Okuma Airframe AF 7/9 to put on a 8 wt. rod that I use for hunting big trout. I wanted a reel with lots of backing. Reel works great; has a feature that "shuts" down the drag when reeling but engages when the line is pulled. I got a great price on it at www.troutlet.com after checking out several other reels and prices. Negative on the reel is that the drag wheel isn't secured so don't loosen it so much that that it falls off. However, wouldn't hesitate to buy another. Oh yes, a friend has three metal framed ones and likes them.

John Torchick

So much water, so little time!
Enjoying the Creation, Praising the Creator!

#5 picketpin

picketpin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 11:41 AM

Hi guys well thanks for the info on okuma at those prices cant go wrong tight lines MIKE wink.gif biggrin.gif
Who says money cant buy happiness (see my new fly rod and reel)

#6 flymaster

flymaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 06:09 PM

Good stuff and good price. I own 2 and would buy anothter
FM
CPR Catch-Photo-Release!

#7 mcfly

mcfly

><> ><> ><> ><> ><>

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 09:10 PM

Own two, love em. There are past reviews as well on this forum if you want to read them.
To avoid situations in which you might make mistakes may be the biggest mistake of all. - Peter McWilliams

#8 DCM

DCM

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 03:05 PM

I've got a large arbor Okuma on an 8wt st criox,it handles lake Erie steelies, and a few big salmon just fine.
P.S. you will love the drag as much as the price.
DCM

#9 sore arm

sore arm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 07:36 PM

I am looking for a reel myself and looked into these. Found a report about them being trout reels nothing more. Something about bearings being small or something like that. I am passing on it. Even though I know some guys that are happy with them. The reels are still brand new, they shouldnt have any problems. With that report I found made me wonder how long one would last. Well good luck on finding that perfect reel. Its tuff.