Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

fly reel

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 picketpin

picketpin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 02:12 PM

Hi Guys. Have any of you Gentleman tried the Shimano fly reels yet and what do you think? I use lots of Shimano reel ,spin, trolling baitcasters. and have great luck I was just wondering how their line of fly reels would be.

Tight lines MIKE
Who says money cant buy happiness (see my new fly rod and reel)

#2 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

When I grow up, I'm moving to Florida !!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,859 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 02:19 PM

To be honest Mike I had no idea they even made a fly reel huh.gif ......wouldnt have a link would you so we could take a looksie?

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#3 fishyfranky

fishyfranky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 03:44 PM

I read several UK fly fishing magazines and it annoys me to no end why we don't get the fly gear from Shimano, Diawa, etc over here in North America. Here's the reel (real nice!):
Shimano fly reel

#4 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

When I grow up, I'm moving to Florida !!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,859 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 03:51 PM

Hmm ..I had thought it might be something "cheap" like along the lines of a base model medalist or something like that, but that reel actually looks pretty darn nice.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#5 picketpin

picketpin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 04:59 PM

Steeldrifter Iagree that reel looks fine. that 7/8 wt with 230m of backing looks pretty nice wink.gif

Fishyfranky thanks for the web site , looking around the us, and canadian sites to try and find a dealer. the thing I like is the 10year warrenty on this reel. rolleyes.gif did you happen to see a prince for the Ultegra series reels

thigt lines guys Mike

#6 Gary Madore

Gary Madore

"Orvis Whore"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 05:21 PM

QUOTE (fishyfranky @ Mar 1 2005, 03:44 PM)
I read several UK fly fishing magazines and it annoys me to no end why we don't get the fly gear from Shimano, Diawa, etc over here in North America.

I'll second that!

I love Shimano spinning reels and use them exclusively; I would like to try out one of their fly reels.

Cheers!

Gary
A bad day of fishing is still fishing!

#7 fishyfranky

fishyfranky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 08:54 PM

Well, you can get it for about 60 pounds but you have to add shipping etc. As an alternative, you can get a relabel from G Loomis:

G Loomis version

These should be easy to find biggrin.gif

#8 Pujic

Pujic

Browns? Where?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 11:16 AM

That Shimano reel looks identical to the G.Loomis one. Does anyone know if they are from the same manufacturer?

Those G.Loomis Venture (or Adventure in Canada) reels are awesome. I have an Adventure 5 which I have been using for 2 full years now and I've never had any problems with it.

Nick

Canadian Fly Fisher - Canada's Leading Fly Fishing Magazine
http://www.canflyfish.com

#9 fishyfranky

fishyfranky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 11:39 AM

Yes, the G Loomis Ad/Venture and Shimano Ultegra are the same reel. Shimano is G Loomis's parent company.

#10 Dave

Dave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 12:09 PM

Is the Venture and Adventure the same reel? I was recently in a fly shop looking for a reel for bass and light saltwater and the clerk there said he used the Adventure 7 and really liked it. It did seem to have a very smooth drag. I'm kind of torn between the Adventure and the Pflueger Trion which also seems like a pretty good reel. Both sell for around $100.

Dave

#11 Gary Madore

Gary Madore

"Orvis Whore"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 04:18 PM

No kidding.... Wow.

Well, that clinches it: I've been sitting on the fence, trying to decide whether or not to shell out the big bux for a Loomis reel to grace my Loomis rod.... The answer, now, is "hell yes!"

Funnily enough, when I looked at the Shimano link provided above I thought to myself "Wow: That looks just like the Loomis. I wonder if it's a knockoff?" heh heh

Thanks for the info. The things you learn.....

Cheers!

Gary
A bad day of fishing is still fishing!

#12 picketpin

picketpin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 10:23 PM

Thanks for the info. guys. The venture or adventure does looks like the shimano reel Iwas looking at on the web sites

thanks all wink.gif , glad to here yuo like yours Nick!!

TL Mike

#13 appalachian angler (tn.)

appalachian angler (tn.)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 11:56 PM

I know this may sound funny but can anyone vouch for the clicker in this reel. I hate plastic "clucking" clickers. I guess I am just used to my old battenkill. The reel seems like a good product for the $$$ smile.gif

A.A.
"If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies"

-- Bob Lawless.

#14 nightfish

nightfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 08:39 AM

The clicker is fairly quiet, but I don't have the right blade screwdriver at the moment to take mine apart to see the clicker mechanism. It sounds to me like a bearing against detents rather than plastic though.

My review of the G-Loomis Venture 5, that I've had for a year:

The reel looks nice, with an attractive color, and seems well-balanced. The drag is smooth, with a great deal of fine adjustment. Outgoing click is fairly quiet, and the clicker is silent on retrieve. Without my dissasembling of the drag knob, it appears that the drag is sealed. The frame is very open, with lots of surface for rim control (palming). The construction appears to be machined after casting (MAC), and is aluminum. Weight is slightly heavy for it's size, but not horribly so. Left to right retreive change is fairly easy...remove one screw and a plastic retainer clip, remove & flip the bearing, & replace retainer & screw. I paid approximately $100 (US) at retail.

There are some things I don't like about the reel. The metal is very soft, & scratches easily, and the frame edges could have been rounded to prevent abrasion to line when stripping (slightly sharp edge). There is no ventilation on the drag knob side of the frame or the drag knob side of the spool. The drag knob, at the lightest setting, has a gritty sound (like poorly fit gears), but has had no wear problems that I have detected. The brand & model labeling is painted on the frame & wears away quickly. The foot is cast, which will bend or break easily. There is absolutely no resistance on the retreive, which bothers me slightly, but is no big deal. The screws are of a very soft metal, and several require very small heads, both philips & straight, which would make field maintenance a bit difficult if needed.

After a year of use, I have not had any problems with the drag, retreive or spool retention, but cosmetically, it has shown more wear than I feel it should based on use. The retail price, in my opinion, is fair to slightly overpriced based on material quality, and fair based on performance. I recently replaced the reel with another brand, and I haven't decided if I'll keep it or sell it.

#15 appalachian angler (tn.)

appalachian angler (tn.)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 06:24 PM

Thanks, for the thorough review nightfish! I light of your testimony I think I will pass on that one and maybe buy a tioga when I put together my next 5wt set-up. Also thinking about a J.RYALL Julianna model if I decide to throw in the extra $75 smackers.

A.A.
"If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies"

-- Bob Lawless.