Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Article - Realistic Insect Wings

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#31 Graham

Graham

Silently keeping Steve in line

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,901 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 08:28 PM

Thank you wood_man 1948 and Kraut, I honestly have a lot of fun playing around with unusual materials. I'm sure there must be a similar clear printable product available in Europe, maybe acetate, or thin printable overhead transparency (0.04, 0.03 & 0.02 thickness) or self clinging window decals, etc...There must be something. I have sent 6 free packages to several different countries this week, some sheets printed and others blank. Hopefully those who receive some Dura-Lar will be able to find a comparable substitute. I'm always on the lookout for something new to tye with. For example yesterday I bought 30 feet x 3/8" of white rope, and when un-wound into single strands, it becomes almost fully transparent, looks like an excellent material for legging flies. Some type of synthetic fiber, almost see through, takes colors well, can be bent with and without heat, long strips can be braided, then cut short, etc.., If this works out I will have a life time supply of legs, for $3.00, if not I'll keep it in the garage.

Thanks again, and feel free to ask questions and join in anytime, and hopefully post some flies. I can say that if you are new to tying realistics, keep trying, I'm only now feeling like I'm getting the hang of it, my flies have been improving, with practice.

Graham

#32 Banned

Banned

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 07:29 PM

Graham

Here is another color variation on the white foam.

Banned

***The Brown Mayfly is a size 16, the small white blank one is a size 18, and the tan and yellow (sorta hex) is a size 14. Note the yellow soda cap in the background***

Attached Files

#33 Banned

Banned

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 07:32 PM

And One More.

Banned

Attached Files

#34 Troutnut

Troutnut

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 03:23 PM

Very nice, Graham! I may have to try that sometime when I've got more time. I like that Duralar printing idea, and I wonder how well it would work on certain materials for printing mayfly bodies, too. There are lots of possibilities. smile.gif

I'm still working hard on the new version of my site. It's taking much longer than expected, but I'm making good progress and hope to have it online by late August or better. I think you're going to like some of the "wingprints" I've made of some insects for taxonomy that involves wing venation. I've found a pretty good way to photograph them so I can even catch most of the venation in a fully hyaline spinner wing.

#35 TieFlier

TieFlier

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 03:06 PM

Ressurecting post to find out if anyone still has instructions or link thereto as the previous links are now dead.

Thanks in advance for any help on the creation of these wings. Much obliged

#36 thepictureman

thepictureman

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 12:31 PM

Hello,
I've been on a quest for several days searching for alternatives to buying Mayfly and other insect wings, so after joining this forum, I found an article with your images and some info about Dura-lar. I tried downloading your image files to print, but apparently the files are corrupted. Would you mind sending those printable images to me by email at [email protected] I'm looking to print wings for various flys and different sizes as well as stonefly nymph wing backs if you have those too. Also, where can I buy Dura-Lar or similar to use in a laser printer?
Thank you in advance.
Marty

#37 RoyalWulff33

RoyalWulff33

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 03:56 AM

Hello, I was wondering if someone could please repost the links??

Thanks RoyalWulff

#38 149113

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 08:49 AM

Another request on the images. All the links from this are gone.

#39 DrVette

DrVette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 09:41 PM

Anybody have any ideas why I can't get this to load for me? (the button on page 1).

#40 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,530 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 09:46 AM

Vette ... look at the dates !!  I truly doubt if the sites even exist anymore.

Post #34 is from 2005 ... eleven years ago.  The last three posts prior to yours were from one time members who were here just to find those links, it seems.

Maybe someone on here will be able to "re-find" the info ... flytire being the best, I think, at that kind of thing ... but I doubt it.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#41 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,528 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 08:09 PM

google 'graham owens realistic insect wings fly tying'

search the results

Most fishermen use the double haul to throw their casting mistakes further - Lefty Kreh