Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Sandworms and Bloodworms

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Sandworm

Sandworm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 02:25 PM

I just realized I never posted my namesake fly "Sandworms "
When I was about 9 years old my Dad took us Camping to Wildwood State Park out on Long Island. We spent days Surfcasting the L. I. Sound. Sandworms were the Bait of choice. They came packaged in a box filled with Seaweed . Those THINGS scared the crap out of me !!!! Lol. As soon as you grab one these huge retractable black Pinchers pop out of the head and try to bite you. So after a quick beheading with my trusty knife they were all hooked up and ready to fish !
So when I started inventing realistic patterns my old rival the Sandworm was tops on my list. ( cause of the fond memories ) lol and a few drops of Blood !

Attached Files

#2 Tim Shovel

Tim Shovel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 01:59 PM

Gorgeous fly, grotesque creature

Amazing what you can create with a few materials and a hook, well done. 

#3 Sandworm

Sandworm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 02:08 PM

Thanks Tim. They have to be the coolest Worms on the planet. They still creek me out . They remind of that movie. Deep Rising !

#4 Saltybum

Saltybum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 07:10 AM

You are not allowed to tie a worm to a hook and call it realistic fly tying. How did you get it to hold still long enough to tie it on?

Awesome job for sure.

Life is too serious to take it too seriously!

#5 carpflyguy

carpflyguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 10:40 AM

Incredible! Well done!

Are the legs some sort of biots?