Fly Tying
flytire

2018 has not been.....

....good to me sad.png

first off during the coldest days of january i run out ou propane for 3 1/2 days to warm my house. space heaters can only do so much

secondly, now that i have 2 full tanks of propane my furnace shits the bed. repair guy came tuesday to repair it and it turned out to be the ignitor was shot. well it got replaced and we hoped that would be the fix. wrong. after turning the furnace back on nothing worked as it should. he did another test but this time on the gas valve. gas was going in but wasnt coming out. so a new part was ordered. but that part is in utica, new york. with the weather we had yesterday it probably wont be delivered to the supplier until friday.

i can only envision what the repair bill is gonna cost me!

oh well back to the space heaters. luckily the repair company brought a couple of them for me to use

ive lived in my mobile home for about 10 years so i guess im pretty lucky no other major repairs have been needed (other than the motherboard, defrosting unit and a fan motor in my refrigerator smile.png)

such is the life of a happy homeowner smile.png

sorry for taking up your time

We've been in our house for 16 years, now. Replaced two refrigerators, a stove and a dishwasher. Had the A/C unit go on the blink twice, minor repairs both time.

Mother-n-law has been in her house half that time. (We pay her maintenance costs) she's replaced her fridge, stove and A/C units ... and we had to re-side the house after one of the hurricanes. (Poor materials when it was built meant we had to pay more than 50% of the price.

I feel your pain, sir.

However ... I NEVER again want to feel the cold like you're doing. So my sympathies for you run deep.

Anyone anticipating retirement should realize that nearly every major item they own will need to be replaced before they die (15-20 years). That means plan on replacing your washer, dryer, water heater, roof, garage door opener, storm windows, lawn mower, cars, furnace, air conditioner, TV, computer, etc. That adds up to some big bucks and the price will only be increasing with inflation, about 3 % per year. So don't just figure you need enough $ for food, medicine, utilities, insurance and taxes. You are not the only thing that is deteriating, so is everything you own.

That sucks man sorry to hear that. Definitely don't want to be without heat for long at this time of the year. There's a major snow storm coming through here (Midwest & Northeast) starting tonight dumping 8"+ so hopefully that doesn't slow down the part moving out of Ny even further.

Anyone anticipating retirement should realize that nearly every major item they own will need to be replaced before they die (15-20 years). That means plan on replacing your washer, dryer, water heater, roof, garage door opener, storm windows, lawn mower, cars, furnace, air conditioner, TV, computer, etc. That adds up to some big bucks and the price will only be increasing with inflation, about 3 % per year. So don't just figure you need enough $ for food, medicine, utilities, insurance and taxes. You are not the only thing that is deteriating, so is everything you own.

I've been retired for almost twenty years now and as I viewed your list of things that will need to be replaced I realized I've done all but a couple. Still got the same lawn mower-it's a 25 year old Lawn Boy but still runs ok. I don't use it-I pay the neighbor boy to mow using my mower. Also, I've only replaced one storm window.

But, I'm lucky. My wife has had both knees, one shoulder, one ankle, and one hip replaced.

Dave

Flytire,

I don't know if this is available where you live but you could look into the option of renting a furnace. No big expenditure up front and the rental company is responsible for repairs and maintenance. A lot of people do that up here. Good luck and stay warm.

Les

I'm already contemplating on replacing the water heater with the tankless type

I've repaired the washer and the dishwasher

Sometimes it feels like everything is falling apart around you but you do not have to look to far to see everything you have and feel fortunate. I have lived in a few mobile homes and winter was always a challenge to keep them warm when everything runs right. We are in a old farmhouse, 1840 vintage and the wind blows through the stone and dirt cellar had to replace the furnace motor control unit this week, the well pump last summer, and I could go on.... makes me wonder If I can afford to stop working when I turn 66 and its coming faster than I would like.

You guys are depressing the heebies out of me. We brought our house last May and need to work on the heating and walls and as you've all said, next thing will be the built in appliances, then the roof then the car then back to the start again.

Man, I feel your pain!

Our furnace just went out, had to replace the mother board in it.

But, all-in-all, it sure beats renting or apartment living; especially with pets.

Stay warm and dry.

Take care.

George

That sucks man sorry to hear that. Definitely don't want to be without heat for long at this time of the year. There's a major snow storm coming through here (Midwest & Northeast) starting tonight dumping 8"+ so hopefully that doesn't slow down the part moving out of Ny even further.

Great I'll never see my rod parts from Johnny even if he does ship them correctly, I'll be building these things in June !

Happiness is money in the bank. Exactly why I prefer to squirrel my money away rather then needlessly blowing it. I could give a crap if something breaks cause I got it covered. It's the payoff for being a lifelong cheapskate.

Most times money don't need to be spent but sometimes it does. Just think how warm you will be next year.

being without heat sucks, or of the reasons I will always try to have a woodstove. I just did a couple small additions and a full re-roof along with additional framing on all 4 sides of the roof, 2 months of materials cost me close to 20 grand. I am lucky in that I do so the work myself with the help of my employee.

Oh yea resided 3 sides of my house as well, if you gents have to do siding hardie plank is a good product and very reasonably priced.