Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
FlatzFatz

Pompano Patterns

Pomps happen to be a a bit of a passion...

Lets see what you use for this tasty surf dweller, maybe get up enough interest for a swap. This pattern (pompano rocket) is named for Greg (Rocket Man) Speer, it is used by north florida guides for pomps, redfish, trout etc...and is available commercially.

P1010686.jpg

or see...

www.freewebs.com/beachflies/flycatalog.htm

Nice little crab or shrimp pattern. Is that head epoxy over flash?

And is it true you guys from Panama City really dont like to fish for Fat Alberts?

How about these for those pomps

(All pattern credit to Dhise, as I copied these from his Orvis pattern. All tying complaints are for me as I think I was only tying about a month or two there)

post-18764-1261612111_thumb.jpg

And these were my take on a Merkins Crab. Stripers up here like these for breakfast!

post-18764-1261612233_thumb.jpg

post-18764-1261612254_thumb.jpg

post-18764-1261612983_thumb.jpg

The only pompano Ive caught were two African Pomps (And I dont know if they even count as true pompano) out of Largo with a good guide name Bob Fernicola. Havent fished the keys in the three years Ive been fly fishing but am creaming thinking of the aquarium down that way. You guys really are blessed.

Nice little crab or shrimp pattern. Is that head epoxy over flash?

And is it true you guys from Panama City really dont like to fish for Fat Alberts?

How about these for those pomps

(All pattern credit to Dhise, as I copied these from his Orvis pattern. All tying complaints are for me as I think I was only tying about a month or two there)

post-18764-1261612111_thumb.jpg

And these were my take on a Merkins Crab. Stripers up here like these for breakfast!

post-18764-1261612233_thumb.jpg

post-18764-1261612254_thumb.jpg

post-18764-1261612983_thumb.jpg

The only pompano Ive caught were two African Pomps (And I dont know if they even count as true pompano) out of Largo with a good guide name Bob Fernicola. Havent fished the keys in the three years Ive been fly fishing but am creaming thinking of the aquarium down that way. You guys really are blessed.

Very simple to tie...basically it's a hank of buck tail tied tied deep clouser style on the bottom of the hook over dumbbell eyes, micro flash, holographic flash, and epoxy over over flash braid. Lots of room for variations in materials...could be fun!

No complaints here, great looking flies. Your merkins would be a hit with panama city redfish and pomps...what did you use for the body? The first two were very interesting...What is the two piece pattern, those things look killer.

We fish for stripers in the rivers here, we also have a hybrid striper / sunshine bass that is fun to catch. Although not as popular as up north, they do have a following here. I use live shrimp on light inshore tackle for hybrids :bugeyes: on the inter-coastal waterway.

The fishing and back water flats are the reason we stayed in Florida after retiring from the Air Force. We're originally from northern California where we fly fished some of the greatest rivers, streams and alpine lakes the state has to offer, but after a couple years here (with no snow!) we were hooked.

BTW...Awesome dog! All time pic with the booze!

Both of the flys in the first pic have wiggle backs and were fashioned after Dhise's "nymph o maniac" fly. I've caught both smallies, trout, and chubs on the green one. I must have given the white one away because I dont remember fishing it. Hell it might be hiding in the box. I gave some of the green ones to my buddy for a bonefish trip he went on and they produced so well that his guide replicated them while they were on the trip.

The Merkins has two colors of yarn combed out. the yarn is most likely from Fly tyers dungeon. I actually attempted to catch blackfish (tog, slippery bass all the same fish) off the jetties with them. If they actually took the fly it would have been a bad event. As i learned fishing for those ugly guys, pulling them out of the rocks causes much loss of gear. Better to stick with live greenies and spinning gear. I sure glad they didnt bite as I would have likely lost a sink tip. The stripers actually dig crabs out of the surf and you see them with abraided noses from their digging. Ive tried to overweight some of the flys to sort of drag or sink them deep into the sand. Either it didnt work or I have to fish it different, as there was no difference in catch rate but certainly a disparity in casting.

And what about those False Albacore. I hear what we call the green ghost up here because of how they just disappear actually stack up in great pods down there in Panama city. I heard you southern boys dont fish them because you cant eat them. That would almost be like not chasing ass. :lol:

I think those' ll fish... I like the bead chain eyes, will slow the drop for use when the surf is flat and in the bay. I have also used a glass bead instead of barbell eyes to change the action. I like the hackle collar a lot, going tie to a few of those!

Might also want to try artificial an material such as congo hair or splayed hackle feathers with micro flash for the tail.

If you will be fishing in the surf, keep some weight on them and cast between the first and second sandbar with varying retrieves.

dave

I think those' ll fish... I like the bead chain eyes, will slow the drop for use when the surf is flat and in the bay. I have also used a glass bead instead of barbell eyes to change the action. I like the hackle collar a lot, going tie to a few of those!

Might also want to try artificial an material such as congo hair or splayed hackle feathers with micro flash for the tail.

If you will be fishing in the surf, keep some weight on them and cast between the first and second sandbar with varying retrieves.

dave

That is good advice Dave. I did put on some wire for additional weight as well. I will try your suggestions. I have a couple or months before surf's up.

Tim