Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Piker20

Carrying two rods

Hi folks, anyone fishing on foot where they take two rods, a light rod for small stuff and a heavier rod for bigger fish. How are you storing the second rod? Just lying on the ground? Rigged on your waistcoat/pack?

I'm thinking of carrying a #3 and a #7 but don't really want to keep putting rod down every few casts.

what do you mean by small stuff?

i fish small flies on a 6wt and have no problems

2 rods = twice the chance of breaking/losing/forgetting the rods

I fish two sometimes if I'm going to be walking between fishing spots and likely shifting back and forth between dries and wets, and if the water access is straightforward. I put one down streamside while wading with the other, and have never had trouble, but my rods don't cost more than $100 or so.

I've got an Orvis Safe Passage Carry it All and use it in my 8 foot pram or when river fishing. When river fishing its just on the bank. Only have one rod set up for fishing at a time. Not the best but it works for me.

Sounds to me like you are basing your choice on the wrong factor. Size of fish has nothing to do with AFTMA rating. Decide what flies you will be using. select the line that casts them best, select the rod that casts that line best.

As for handling a second rod, get some small rare earth magnets. fold over the end 1/2 inch, both ends, of some webbing about 4inches long, sew down with a magnet in each end. Make 4 of these. Use two on the inside of your jacket or vest and two on the outside to hold the rod. Put the rod up. Hook fly into the ring above middle joint. Separate the middle joint and place the two halves together. The velcro bands that are used to hold skies together are great for holding the two halves of your rod together. By using the magnets you have a pull release system if the rod gets caught. You can fasten it anywhere but across your back is probably best.

Cheers,
C.

Maybe in a boat, but never when wading or walking. I have enough trouble avoiding getting tangled in the brush with one rod.

Les

I sometimes carry two rods but not often. I always have at least two in the truck, though. If I'm under/over-gunned, I walk back and switch.

I've got a half dozen in the boat with me.

When wading, I don't carry a second fly rod, I carry a spinning rod. If I get into overhanging trees or something that prevents a back cast, I can change to a spinning rod.

The rod not in use gets slung over my back on a sling.

rod carry strap (1).JPG

rod carry strap (4).JPG

rod carry strap (5).JPG

rod carry strap (7).JPG

Hey Skinny ... do you actually use one of those quickshots? I can guess that you definitely don't want to leave a fully assembled rod in that while using a second rod. I can't imagine anything that would catch a fly line quicker than 7 to 8 feet of fly rod sticking up behind you.

Rarely, but I have brought two rods on a fishing walk before: 5wt for most everything and 7wt just in case with a bigger bulkier, often weighted, streamer. Dont like to lay them down because there is a lot of sand down here, so I find a bush I can hang them on.

Most of the time it is only one rod and two flies, though.

If I'm hiking, walking or wading, I carry one rod. A 6 wgt most times. If I'm fishing from a boat, I'll have more than one rod with me.

One 6-8 wt rod at a time, the choice of wt being somewhat dependent on wind and such. the fly end taper of my 8&9wt lines is about the same as a 3wt so I have fished down to #24 with it and caught hundreds of trout that way. (and pan fish, bass, pickerel and bullhead) the six through 8 wt.s are pretty handy at "doing it all". I am just too lazy to use smaller lines.

Many years ago I had more energy and I carried as many as four rods streamside, I learned the truth of

2 rods = twice the chance of breaking/losing/forgetting the rods

No matter what I did sooner or later one rod got broken or left behind. I have found enough rods that i believe this happens to others as well.

I have found enough rods that i believe this happens to others as well.

Another reason for having a way to carry more than one rod ... taking those lucky finds home with you.

Minimal gear for me. One rod and one staff while wading. The staff is like a second rod so if I did have a second rod I would just carry it and set it down when the need arises. I really can't stand to have crap hanging off me with large bulky appendages strapped and sticking out of me. Less is more.