Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Lil bass buggin

Painted eyes better. Didn't break, come off when hit OB backcast that occasionally happens...

Denduke good they are on solid and are durable.

Are your painted eyes flexible, and how do you glue them on.... with more paint?

I usually krazyglue. But on the S. Hansen's just used that then another coat over top. They bend to the curve but will try to curl up if ain't careful. Prolly be better to glue then top coat with Hansens. Glue dries instantly, SH little longer. My whole purpose was quick easy popper bodies. I take a little time on the splayed tail feathers with hackle collar. You could just tie marabou or sumthin else simpler for tails. I'm stuck on the traditional look and rubber legs thru the corks. I use big needle followed with smaller needle for legs no drill. Pliers.

Look close never got the new poppers in the boat. Sorry for not correcting in reply. These have paint drop eyes but are reddie made hard foam bodies from BPShop. They are pretty tough like cork hitting stuff. Quit with the styrofoam and balsa, got bunch broke/chipped. Live and learn. These reddy mades are easiest of all no painting and needle thru for legs easy peasy. Last time at BP they were out and they are pricey compared to utility corks. FeatherCraft only carrries the DoubleBarrel ones, real soft but tuff. Found these 4 leftovers other day. Constant replenish and bad about giving stuff away....

IMG_3611.jpg

Ain't gonna run out

IMG_3835.jpg

Been using a lil 5wt eagle claw rod, got for $16 way back at a discount store, casts like a dream with strait leader.

Quite a stash...looking good.

Thanks for postin the info.

Did a search and found these hard foam bodies, are you familiar with any of them?

https://www.barlowstackle.com/Foam-Popper-Bodies-P1332.aspx

$3.59/10ea

https://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=743712&type=product&WT.z_btnclk=YMAL-743712&WT.z_pg_ref=prd743713

$8.79/20ea

http://www.anglersworkshop.com/Foam-and-Popper-Materials/Hard-Foam-Popper-Bodies_2

$4.09/10ea

I'm sorry fshg2 for the confusion. I avoid the ones you posted now. I shoulda been more specific about "hard foam". The styrofoam hard or soft doesn't last for me. The ones I shoulda called out are the MiniMe. The BP pic won't show so did this one. BTW don't use the provided hole it's too near the center need hook at bottom of the body. Run the hook thru where you want it then past a little apply krazyglue slide it back quickly. If you look at the popper in the bass's mouth above you can see where I skipped the center hole when made it. Stockards gottem.

IMG_3863.png

Here's some of the white ones that I "Hansened"/repaired to get some more use outa them. If you can see the frog bug broke in half and I fished it out, reglued. Like I say I now stay away from those now. Cork and the minimes are tougher. The minimes are great no painting just add spots, glitter, eyes, legs. Another thing I do good with the small SS hooks hump shanks are nice but not necessary with foam and Krazyglue. Saves money and avoids size availability mostly, etc. Did I mention I'm hard on poppers!

IMG_3868.png

Denduke thanks for the info re Mini-Me Pops, I'll be ordering some.

Rainey recommends Gamakatsu SC15 sizes 2/0 & 01.

I see where the frog broke right down the middle...you are hard on them.

I was also thinking about getting some of the medium pencils.

https://www.saltwaterflies.com/catalog2.html#poppers

First one done and test fished today to build my confidence.

Plenty of small ones swatting at it but no takers.

The Mini-Me heads pop as hoped for.

Thanks for the suggestion to keep the hook eye as low as possible.

KQSQMmn.jpg